Which MacBook Is For Me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ManBearWaffle, Dec 2, 2010.

1. ManBearWaffle macrumors member

I was going to wait until the new Macbook Pro comes out, but I'm going on vacation soon (right after xmas), and I dont have a laptop to take with me. I've been looking at all of the MacBooks, and I can't decide what would be best for me. My budget is flexible, but I'd prefer to stay under $1800.

Things I have open all the time:
    Chrome
    Adium
    Postbox
    Dropbox
    Backblaze
    MainMenu
    iTunes/Rdio
    NetNewsWire

Things I use often:
    Pixelmator
    iPhoto
    Minecraft (game)

2. simsaladimbamba

Any current MacBook or MacBook Pro will satisfy your needs, just make sure to have 4GB of RAM.

3. ManBearWaffle thread starter macrumors member

Is the MacBook worth it if I'm upgrading to 4GB? 4GB brings it up to $1099 and the 13" MacBook Pro is only $100 more. Do the MacBooks still have the plastic cracking issue?

What about the MacBook Air? It seems a bit pricey for the specs. I travel a lot, but all of the MacBooks are pretty portable.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can get 2x2GB from aftermarket for 70$. IMO 4GB is definitely worth it.

You aren't paying for the specs in the MBA. You are paying for its lightness and thinness. I got my MBA on Monday and I have to say it's an amazing computer. The CPU isn't the bottleneck nowadays so the small loss in that compared to MBP isn't that big deal. Besides, you get an SSD which already costs 200-300$ from aftermarket so in the end the difference between MBA and MBP is smaller.

Sounds like MBA is adequate for your needs. I would go for the 13" with 4GB of RAM, assuming that the storage is fine for you (maximum of 256GB).

5. ManBearWaffle thread starter macrumors member

I know that with the MBA you're paying for the portability, but the weight/size doesn't matter much to me. I am considering it though. Having an SSD would be awesome, but it might make me sad when I'm using my iMac, since it doesn't have one :p. 256GB would probably be fine if I don't put my photos on it. What's the battery life like? I know the site says 5 hours, but real world usage could be different.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Mine currently says 8.41 (85%) left. Honestly, the battery life has been amazing for me. I have only used the charger when I go to sleep and charge my MBA overnight. During the day, I haven't had any need for it due to the battery.

I would say that in real world, the battery life is about the same as with MBPs. Apple also updated their testing method so that 10 hours may not be as accurate as the 7 hours for MBA.

FYI, I have 13" 128GB with 4GB of RAM. My opinion may be a bit biased though but in all honesty, the MBA is incredible machine. I can gladly recommend it

7. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Like many others have said, just make sure you stick with the 4GB of RAM, and then just select which MacBook you would like from there. Personally, I have the standard white polycarbonate unibody MacBook. To answer the question, they got rid of the plastic cracking issue with this model. I've had this computer for just over a year, and it hasn't cracked at all. The only thing that's not awesome about the plastic is the fact that it gets scratched up really easy. My advice for you since your budget is a little higher than mine was would be to get a 13" MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM, or a MacBook Air with the same specs.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I think either the 13" MBP or 13" MBA would be best. With the MBP, you get better specs and you can replace the HD with an SSD with the money you save, if you want to.

9. ManBearWaffle thread starter macrumors member

I'm leaning more toward the MBA now, but I'm still not sure. The MBP would offer me the space I need for my photos, but I could always get an external hard drive for the MBA.

If I decide to go with the MBA, would the 1.86GHz processor be fine for me? If I'm not storing my photos/music/videos on it, would the 128GB SSD be enough?

What about a warranty? I'm considering using Square Trade rather than Apple Care.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2.13GHz isn't that much faster. I would just go with the 1.86GHz as to get the 2.13GHz, you're forced to buy the 256GB model and then the price would end up being 1799$ with 4GB of RAM.

I still have 96GB of empty space on my 128GB SSD. You can easily store some pics, music and videos in it without filling it unless your app folder takes 100GB :D It's actually quite a lot of space. I also have a 500GB 2.5" external HD where I have some more music, videos and photos. Stuff that is needed infrequently but something that I want to take with me if I go away for few days (like vacation).

11. ManBearWaffle thread starter macrumors member

I think I'm going with the 128GB 13" MBA. Thanks for all of the replies!

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yeah the 13" MBA is a great choice.

I would get the 4gb ram version.

13. TomxHow macrumors member

Minecraft requires some hardcore graphics, but I think the macbooks would be up to standards for it, haha :)

14. viizi macrumors regular

I'd say anything that is out will run what you need but maybe you can get the new macbook pro where you are headed on holidays? If you do make sure it comes with the same power plug as you need back home