Which macbook is for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nosignal, Oct 21, 2008.

1. nosignal macrumors newbie

Okay, I posted a thread on here last week and it didnt really help me, mostly because I didn't ask the right question. I have a 5 year old powerbook that I use to record music, surf the net, chat, and do some web design. I'm looking to upgrade to a macbook, I was waiting for the new announcements but was totally let down because a firewire port is an absolute must for me, I use it for recording. My question is, would the newer macbook white be a good choice for me, or should i get an older black macbook, or if anyone has any suggestions? thanks a bunch!

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

look at the clearance 15" MacBook pro

they are not refurbs and have a good price $1400 i think

3. nosignal thread starter macrumors newbie

i wasn't really planning on spending that much, but if that is the best suited laptop for me I guess I'll have to consider it.

4. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

check craigslist

many people are getting rid of older ones to get money for a new one.

might be able to catch a deal from someone that took care of it.

5. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

6. nosignal thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm definitely leaning mostly toward a black refurbished macbook. Now I just have to hope there will be some left when I have the money

7. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

IMO it doesn't really matter, they're all so much faster than what you have where it matters. Get a MB refurb if they're available, or a MB white otherwise. Quite the step up.

8. nosignal thread starter macrumors newbie

that is a nice looking computer, though i have a question. Why is that macbook so much more than this one? Is it mostly because of the size increase?

9. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

get any "plastic" model macbook with firewire, or any macbook pro. stay away from the new macbooks because apple is clearly labeling them as consumer machines because of the removal of firewire. steer clear, brother.

10. nosignal thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i was actually waiting to upgrade until the new line came out because usually they improve but when i saw that there was no firewire they instantly came off my "upgrade to" list. haha

11. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Screen size, aluminium case, dedicated graphics card, Firewire 800.

12. DeekinBlooz macrumors member

Firewire over Ethernet PHY - 1394c

I am in the same quandry. My perfect computer would be a 13" MBP, but that's not real. So, now what? I like the smaller form factor, but I don't want to lose Firewire (my camcorder only has a firewire interface). Of course, the MB also lacks the ExpresCard slot, so I can't even buy an adapter. (I don't believe the dedicated graphics are a requirement for me - the new MB has plenty of graphics power for my needs).

I was in an Apple Store last night with an Apple guru friend and several different Blueshirts. One of the Blueshirts mentioned a Firewire-over-Ethernet PHY adapter that I could buy from another vendor - not from Apple. I was skeptical. I did some web research right there in the store and found recent articles that said this kind of adapter is not yet available. He sheepishly retracted his position. But, there does appear to be a proposed standard for this - 1394c. Does anyone know anything about this std and when it might be available in an adapter? It would solve everything for me.

13. DeekinBlooz macrumors member

I found a relevant link. http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/18823/