Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snarestud940

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Hey Everyone,

You can see from my devices listed in my signature, that I just recently purchased an iPad Pro. Love it! However, I miss the laptop form factor for certain things. I recently sold my Aluminum Late 2008 Macbook when I got my iPad Pro. I was due for a new laptop anyway, as the battery only lasted about 90 minutes.

Here is my concern. I had the 13 inch macbook unibody (first one). I'm debating whether or not to go for the 13 inch pro, 12 inch retina macbook, or even the 15 inch pro. When was the last update to both macbook pros? I would like to go big again and get a 15 inch pro, but don't wanna be outdated in 6 months.

My uses for my computers are as follows:
web browsing
email
ms office and iWork applications
youtube/video
imovie
iTunes
Sibelius (for arranging music for drumcorps, marching bands, and percussion ensembles)

Will the 12 inch retina macbook handle this? is it better to get the 13 or 15 inch pro? Should I wait altogether? I don't know. I like the air form factor too, but wish it came in a 15 inch model. I don't know...

Advice please? And thanks so much!

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I actually just returned the rMB and iPad Pro, and bought the 512GB 15"..

The rMB was pretty great, and it performed alright with Sibelius 7. I tried MuseScore, and even with the lightest sound font I could find, play back was static. I didn't have that issue with Sibelius.

I had the 15" retina prior, and kind of missed the simplicity of anything I throw at it - working. Also the screen size..writing out parts on the 12" definitely wasn't as easy.

If you're in the USA, bhphotovideo has the 15" base on sale for $1,799, and Best Buy price matches with them. The 512GB version is on sale for $2,249.

Reactions: JJayguy23

snarestud940

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I actually just returned the rMB and iPad Pro, and bought the 512GB 15"..

The rMB was pretty great, and it performed alright with Sibelius 7. I tried MuseScore, and even with the lightest sound font I could find, play back was static. I didn't have that issue with Sibelius.

I had the 15" retina prior, and kind of missed the simplicity of anything I throw at it - working. Also the screen size..writing out parts on the 12" definitely wasn't as easy.

If you're in the USA, bhphotovideo has the 15" base on sale for $1,799, and Best Buy price matches with them. The 512GB version is on sale for $2,249.
Great response. Thank you! Just not sure if I should wait for next years model. How old is the 15 inch MacBook Pro? 2015?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Great response. Thank you! Just not sure if I should wait for next years model. How old is the 15 inch MacBook Pro? 2015?

It was released in May of 2015, but it's still using Haswell CPUs. The 13" rMBP was updated in March but it has the newer Broadwell CPUs.

If you need a computer now, any of them are a good choice. I'm expecting the rMB and rMBPs to be updated early next year.

snarestud940

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
It was released in May of 2015, but it's still using Haswell CPUs. The 13" rMBP was updated in March but it has the newer Broadwell CPUs.

If you need a computer now, any of them are a good choice. I'm expecting the rMB and rMBPs to be updated early next year.
Another great response!

Anyone else?!

vinylretina

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2015
Another great response!

Anyone else?!

Speaking as the owner of a mid-2014 15" rMBP, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the slightest. I didn't think anything could possibly dethrone my iBook G4 (which is why I negated to upgrade my laptop situation until last year) but I have honestly never liked an electronic device as much as I like it, ever. The 2015 model is overall the same, correct? Only with the addition of Force Touch trackpad? As I said, I can't possibly imagine you'd be disappointed. It's fast, powerful, it actually has ports (HDMI, dude), and it's insanely well designed. Battery life is fantastic on it too, if that's something that is a big concern to you. 4-5 hours on top brightness while doing moderately heavy activity. I use Logic Pro X and GarageBand on it to play/record guitar, use office software, watch Netflix, listen to music, travel the internet, and even have battery to spare for a couple rounds of Counterstrike on Steam. Even if it does run out, it takes practically no time to charge; even while you're using it.

The iPad Pro not quite cut it in the laptop department? I've been curious about them. I have a 64gb iPad Air 2 with LTE and honestly I use it about just as much as my rMBP for work/schoolwork and internet consumption or gaming. That display is wicked, but the one thing I can't ever get out of a video review is how it feels to carry it around with you. My iPad fits really comfortably in my backpack and adds almost no weight at all. Sometimes when I don't feel like packing up my laptop, I'll just take it with me (even though, admittedly, I'm usually slinging both around...) and I've been wondering if the specs and that display make it a worthy purchase for someone who uses an iPad to get stuff done throughout the week or if the size takes away from the experience of using an iPad. Not to steal your spotlight, but I just had to inquire. :rolleyes:

snarestud940

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Speaking as the owner of a mid-2014 15" rMBP, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the slightest. I didn't think anything could possibly dethrone my iBook G4 (which is why I negated to upgrade my laptop situation until last year) but I have honestly never liked an electronic device as much as I like it, ever. The 2015 model is overall the same, correct? Only with the addition of Force Touch trackpad? As I said, I can't possibly imagine you'd be disappointed. It's fast, powerful, it actually has ports (HDMI, dude), and it's insanely well designed. Battery life is fantastic on it too, if that's something that is a big concern to you. 4-5 hours on top brightness while doing moderately heavy activity. I use Logic Pro X and GarageBand on it to play/record guitar, use office software, watch Netflix, listen to music, travel the internet, and even have battery to spare for a couple rounds of Counterstrike on Steam. Even if it does run out, it takes practically no time to charge; even while you're using it.

The iPad Pro not quite cut it in the laptop department? I've been curious about them. I have a 64gb iPad Air 2 with LTE and honestly I use it about just as much as my rMBP for work/schoolwork and internet consumption or gaming. That display is wicked, but the one thing I can't ever get out of a video review is how it feels to carry it around with you. My iPad fits really comfortably in my backpack and adds almost no weight at all. Sometimes when I don't feel like packing up my laptop, I'll just take it with me (even though, admittedly, I'm usually slinging both around...) and I've been wondering if the specs and that display make it a worthy purchase for someone who uses an iPad to get stuff done throughout the week or if the size takes away from the experience of using an iPad. Not to steal your spotlight, but I just had to inquire. :rolleyes:
You didn't steal my spotlight at all! I appreciate the response.

To answer your question, I love the iPad Pro! However, I've never been very talented at typing on a touchscreen, or even using the trackpad on my iMac. I still use the magic mouse, and when I had my MacBook, I use the trackpad on that. When I wrote music on my MacBook, I always hooked up a Bluetooth mouse, because I felt it be more efficient with an actual device. I do love the iPad Pro, but I do feel that it is not a sufficient laptop replacement. At least not yet. I use my iPad for anything around the house, including sitting down watching TV, or even laying in bed.

My iMac is my desktop that I never turn off, and always leave in sleep mode. My MacBook I wouldn't use as much when I got my iPad 2, iPad 3, and then the iPad Pro. So I did sell it for a measly $300. However, now I find myself lost when I have to send out emails, or type of papers, and I want to watch TV at the same time. These are things that I used my old MacBook for, and find it not as easy to do on the iPad Pro. Coming from my old MacBook of a 90 minute battery, I would love to try the retina MacBook Pro for the nine, or even 10 hour battery life. I'm just not sure I want to drop $2000, and then spend the extra 250 for AppleCare. I've been tossing the idea around of selling the iPad Pro, or the iMac, and getting the retina MacBook Pro 15 inch. However, then I would find myself in a pickle when I just want to use a touch screen, and not kill the battery on my iPhone 6 Plus.

So many choices!

vinylretina

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2015
You didn't steal my spotlight at all! I appreciate the response.

To answer your question, I love the iPad Pro! However, I've never been very talented at typing on a touchscreen, or even using the trackpad on my iMac. I still use the magic mouse, and when I had my MacBook, I use the trackpad on that. When I wrote music on my MacBook, I always hooked up a Bluetooth mouse, because I felt it be more efficient with an actual device. I do love the iPad Pro, but I do feel that it is not a sufficient laptop replacement. At least not yet. I use my iPad for anything around the house, including sitting down watching TV, or even laying in bed.

My iMac is my desktop that I never turn off, and always leave in sleep mode. My MacBook I wouldn't use as much when I got my iPad 2, iPad 3, and then the iPad Pro. So I did sell it for a measly $300. However, now I find myself lost when I have to send out emails, or type of papers, and I want to watch TV at the same time. These are things that I used my old MacBook for, and find it not as easy to do on the iPad Pro. Coming from my old MacBook of a 90 minute battery, I would love to try the retina MacBook Pro for the nine, or even 10 hour battery life. I'm just not sure I want to drop $2000, and then spend the extra 250 for AppleCare. I've been tossing the idea around of selling the iPad Pro, or the iMac, and getting the retina MacBook Pro 15 inch. However, then I would find myself in a pickle when I just want to use a touch screen, and not kill the battery on my iPhone 6 Plus.

So many choices!

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I'm not unsatisfied with my iPad Air 2 in any way, so I will probably hold off until there's a major reason to consider upgrading to the Pro.

Anyway, my situation is the kinda the opposite of yours. My iMac is the less powerful of my computers and my rMBP is the newest and serves as my main computer. I love my iMac, but honestly if I hadn't already had it or if it were newer and could retrieve a significant value, I would have sold it when I got my rMBP. I'm a laptop guy, though. I like having a desktop that is always right there and ready to go, but I definitely prefer to have a laptop that can serve as a main computer. Just my 2 cents. If you got a MBP but still wanted to have that desktop environment, looking into a display that can do HDMI is an option.

I wouldn't sell your iPad Pro, though! iPad is like, the ultimate entertainment device and I can guarantee sellers remorse within a week. Haha.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
You basically are looking for a powerhouse without losing the portability.
It is quite strange you are considering a MacBook and a MacBook Pro 15" for the same purpose , since they are very different in dimensions and computational power.
I would consider a solution in the middle: a 13" MBP, with a 256 Gb SSD.

snarestud940

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
You basically are looking for a powerhouse without losing the portability.
It is quite strange you are considering a MacBook and a MacBook Pro 15" for the same purpose , since they are very different in dimensions and computational power.
I would consider a solution in the middle: a 13" MBP, with a 256 Gb SSD.
Hey! thanks for the response! I'm considering the macbook 15 inch only because of the screen size basically. I had the 13 inch, while it wasn't small, I didn't enjoy the real-estate of the screen.

snarestud940

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Yeah, I see what you're saying. I'm not unsatisfied with my iPad Air 2 in any way, so I will probably hold off until there's a major reason to consider upgrading to the Pro.

Anyway, my situation is the kinda the opposite of yours. My iMac is the less powerful of my computers and my rMBP is the newest and serves as my main computer. I love my iMac, but honestly if I hadn't already had it or if it were newer and could retrieve a significant value, I would have sold it when I got my rMBP. I'm a laptop guy, though. I like having a desktop that is always right there and ready to go, but I definitely prefer to have a laptop that can serve as a main computer. Just my 2 cents. If you got a MBP but still wanted to have that desktop environment, looking into a display that can do HDMI is an option.

I wouldn't sell your iPad Pro, though! iPad is like, the ultimate entertainment device and I can guarantee sellers remorse within a week. Haha.
thanks for the reply. i will probably keep everything and just buy a macbook pro 15 inch. that laptop i would assume would last me as long as my original macbook did from 2008 until this year, correct?

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Have you considered the Surface 3?

StaffPad on it is simply amazing, the closest the iPad Pro has is Notion - which really..is a toy compared to StaffPad.

I think that and the 15" are a good combo.

Being able to physically write out the notation on the Surface, then send the .midi or .xml to your 15" for finalization etc would be cool.

I'm actually kind of thinking going that route now that I returned the iPP and have the 15" again.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Hey! thanks for the response! I'm considering the macbook 15 inch only because of the screen size basically. I had the 13 inch, while it wasn't small, I didn't enjoy the real-estate of the screen.
Yep, but you were considering the MacBook.... Even smaller.
I think 13" is a better compromise

Have you considered the Surface 3?

StaffPad on it is simply amazing, the closest the iPad Pro has is Notion - which really..is a toy compared to StaffPad.

I think that and the 15" are a good combo.

Being able to physically write out the notation on the Surface, then send the .midi or .xml to your 15" for finalization etc would be cool.

I'm actually kind of thinking going that route now that I returned the iPP and have the 15" again.
An half baked solution running Windows?
I wouldn't recommend it.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Don't bother with the Retina MacBook as your iPad Pro is probably faster and more powerful.
Get a Macbook Pro, because you will appreciate the extra power and speed when doing your music. But see if you can wait for the Skylake models to appear.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I would try to wait, personally. The current models are over 6 mo old, and as noted, use haswell CPUs. It's a good machine, but the the is old at this point.

I do think the 13" rMBP is the sweet spot for price/performance.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I would try to wait, personally. The current models are over 6 mo old, and as noted, use haswell CPUs. It's a good machine, but the the is old at this point.

I do think the 13" rMBP is the sweet spot for price/performance.
the 13" MBP uses Broadwell CPUs...

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
As much as I love the 15 inch, the Haswell CPU is getting a little long in the tooth. I think the 13 inch is the sweet spot right now. I do however still believe in the if you need it buy it but if you can wait, wait.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
An half baked solution running Windows?
I wouldn't recommend it.

Yeah - the SP3 was one of the best products I've owned.

I've owned: iPad 2, 3, new iPad, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad pro, cMBP 15", rMBP 13/15", rMB, air 11"...

I could tell you some half baked releases out of those - and the surface pro 3 was not one of them.

And if you're a musician, there's simply no equal to StaffPad..

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
As much as I love the 15 inch, the Haswell CPU is getting a little long in the tooth. I think the 13 inch is the sweet spot right now. I do however still believe in the if you need it buy it but if you can wait, wait.

What about the 15" is?

If someone is into iGPU, I can see waiting - but skylake likely won't bring about a huge jump in CPU performance. Battery life may be slightly increased - but we are out of the days of a 4-5 hour battery..so is it really that much of a difference?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Yeah - the SP3 was one of the best products I've owned.

I've owned: iPad 2, 3, new iPad, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad pro, cMBP 15", rMBP 13/15", rMB, air 11"...

I could tell you some half baked releases out of those - and the surface pro 3 was not one of them.

And if you're a musician, there's simply no equal to StaffPad..
tried ... returned.
Surely better than any crappy Android tablets (they are a joke), but still an half baked solution.

snarestud940

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
well everyone! Thanks for writing! I decided to bite the bullet and get the 15inch macbook pro!!! i love it!!!!!

Reactions: Max(IT)

vinylretina

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2015
well everyone! Thanks for writing! I decided to bite the bullet and get the 15inch macbook pro!!! i love it!!!!!

Congrats! I think you definitely made the right choice. Settling never leads to satisfaction. And to answer your earlier reply to me, it will most definitely last you many years if you treat it right. This is coming from the person who used a 2005 iBook G4 up until August of last year. :D

snarestud940

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Congrats! I think you definitely made the right choice. Settling never leads to satisfaction. And to answer your earlier reply to me, it will most definitely last you many years if you treat it right. This is coming from the person who used a 2005 iBook G4 up until August of last year. :D
thanks! yes, i'm loving it so far. on it right now. great battery life too! i have a question though...what does flash storage mean? i only have 256 GB storage? but my iMac has 1 TB, and I have about 250 gb of that filled. is it worth copying everything over? or just copying over things i absolutely need?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.