Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Which Macbook Pro 13" 2020

ry381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
Hey

Looking to purchase a new Macbook Pro 13" 2020 just debating over which model I should get.

I started out with the entry level £1192 but after weighting up the double RAM, SSD, Fans and a 10th Gen I thought that £458 difference between the £1192 and £1650 did not seen that bad. Apple website prices (£1299 v 1799)

I did consider entry level with upgrading the RAM to 16GB from 8GB but cant seem to get this spec unless buying direct from apple! Only seem to be about to buy upgraded SSD but not RAM on entry level outside of apple website.

Anyone bought form the official refurb site as can get the entry level with 16GB for £1269.

I can honestly say I do not need the £1650 specs but when think my last Mac lasted me 9 years with only an upgrade from HHD to SSD, and the ability now not to be able to upgrade the RAM I am looking down the line rather than the present.

Thanks

Cookie18

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
France
If a MacBook lasts you that long don’t buy an entry level model now. The entry level model will be replaced in the next few months by an ARM version which will have much better specs and there is some speculation that it will come with 16GB as standard.

If you want the high end it’s safe to buy but the entry level is on the way out very soon.

The new one will probably be in October.

Comment

ry381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
If a MacBook lasts you that long don’t buy an entry level model now. The entry level model will be replaced in the next few months by an ARM version which will have much better specs and there is some speculation that it will come with 16GB as standard.

If you want the high end it’s safe to buy but the entry level is on the way out very soon.

The new one will probably be in October.

Yeah I have heard talk of the Air and entry level pro being replaced in Q3/4 by ARM but hard to say if it will happen tbh, I also dont really want to buy 1st Gen of the new ARM models, always like to wait until its been out for a bit.

I think £1650 is best option, not sure I'll get 9 years out it as before but thinking for use over next 5/6 year anyway, its just a little more than I was hoping to spend

Comment

Cookie18

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
France
Yeah I have heard talk of the Air and entry level pro being replaced in Q3/4 by ARM but hard to say if it will happen tbh, I also dont really want to buy 1st Gen of the new ARM models, always like to wait until its been out for a bit.

I think £1650 is best option, not sure I'll get 9 years out it as before but thinking for use over next 5/6 year anyway, its just a little more than I was hoping to spend

The most likely scenario for the MacBook Pro is that we see the ARM chip placed inside the current MBP body, so it won't be a true 1st gen model. There will definitely be a new MacBook of some sort this year and the best guess is that it will be the 13" MacBook Pro as it is the only MacBook still on the older processors.

If you definitely wouldn't want to buy an ARM one regardless I'd go with the £1269 refurb. It is a great deal, the Apple refurb store is excellent. The products are brand new, I've bought several myself and I will only ever buy from there now. The difference in processor speed from the base model to the high-end model is only around 15% or so. The refurb base model with the extra RAM is a much better buy if you're not getting an ARM one.

Comment

ry381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
The most likely scenario for the MacBook Pro is that we see the ARM chip placed inside the current MBP body, so it won't be a true 1st gen model. There will definitely be a new MacBook of some sort this year and the best guess is that it will be the 13" MacBook Pro as it is the only MacBook still on the older processors.

If you definitely wouldn't want to buy an ARM one regardless I'd go with the £1269 refurb. It is a great deal, the Apple refurb store is excellent. The products are brand new, I've bought several myself and I will only ever buy from there now. The difference in processor speed from the base model to the high-end model is only around 15% or so. The refurb base model with the extra RAM is a much better buy if you're not getting an ARM one.

Just not sure I want one of the first ARM ones, design wise etc it will be the same but until its full adopted and integrated I wouldn't want one of the first.

It is slightly annoying you can buy entry level with upgraded SSD but not RAM from retailers, but I think the refurb from apple is also a contender for me with the updated RAM. I dont need a 512 SSD and with the use if externals there is options but the extra RAM that will be best outlay.

The 10th Gen would also be great to have but when you weight up £1650 v £1269 its a harder sell.

Comment

Cookie18

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
France
Just not sure I want one of the first ARM ones, design wise etc it will be the same but until its full adopted and integrated I wouldn't want one of the first.

It is slightly annoying you can buy entry level with upgraded SSD but not RAM from retailers, but I think the refurb from apple is also a contender for me with the updated RAM. I dont need a 512 SSD and with the use if externals there is options but the extra RAM that will be best outlay.

The 10th Gen would also be great to have but when you weight up £1650 v £1269 its a harder sell.

I agree completely, the price difference compared with the refurb is massive. I also don't need a huge SSD so that isn't a benefit to me either.

In my experience the Apple refurb store tends to be cheaper than retailers too. I checked John Lewis, Very etc when buying my Mac Mini but it was way cheaper on the refurb store. Plus, you can get the exact specification you want. One thing about the refurb store though, if you see the model you want it is best not to wait too long. They can be gone in minutes. I checked the refurb store just now and they have way less 2020 MacBook Pros than they did when they first got added a couple of days ago.

Personally, I just sold my 2016 MacBook Pro in preparation for getting an ARM one but if I wasn't getting an ARM one I would be getting that £1269 one. I was pretty close to ordering it when it first got added the other day.

Comment

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Do you need a new MBP now or could wait a year?

Apple is moving forward with replacing the Intel systems and developers are devoting considerable effort to porting their apps to Apple Silicon processors. If you keep your system for many years, choose wisely.

Comment

ry381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
Do you need a new MBP now or could wait a year?

Apple is moving forward with replacing the Intel systems and developers are devoting considerable effort to porting their apps to Apple Silicon processors. If you keep your system for many years, choose wisely.

Yeah I need a new one now, not right right now, but next couple months I could get by, but no great benefit on waiting as I would either go £1650 or get the refurb one I wanted, and dont want to be one of the first ARM. (just my preference, sure it will be great)

Comment

nudoru

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2012
Near Charlotte NC
I bought two entry-level 13"s for my kids to replace their 10-year-old hand-me-downs. It's a huge upgrade for them. Both of them are going to be starting school 100% online and when they eventually go back, these are more than enough to handle any school-related things they'll need and even a little Photoshop.

One of the biggest concerns I have with the Intel to ARM transition is games. They lost a few games in the upgrade with Catalina's removal of 32-bit support, but they can play all of their important games now. I don't know when or even if some of these will be ARM ready. I couldn't push an upgrade for them that far down the road, so I jumped now - and got free AirPods with each! :)

Reactions: Christopher Kim
Comment

ry381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
I bought two entry-level 13"s for my kids to replace their 10-year-old hand-me-downs. It's a huge upgrade for them. Both of them are going to be starting school 100% online and when they eventually go back, these are more than enough to handle any school-related things they'll need and even a little Photoshop.

One of the biggest concerns I have with the Intel to ARM transition is games. They lost a few games in the upgrade with Catalina's removal of 32-bit support, but they can play all of their important games now. I don't know when or even if some of these will be ARM ready. I couldn't push an upgrade for them that far down the road, so I jumped now - and got free AirPods with each! :)

Where was the free airpods offer?

Gaming not an issue for me, its more I just dont want to be one of the first lol

Comment

simmi99

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2015
I'm like the OP and deciding on which model to get. I am working off of a Early 2015 13'MBP, 256GB with 8GB Ram. The computer is working fine but I do use it everyday for work so I have the itch to buy a new machine. I don't do heavy processing so I don't know if I am so caught up with the new chips. Everyone seems like something magical is going to come out soon, but it could take a while for the big update to take place. I'm leaning towards just buying now and enjoying but if you have another thought, please share.

Comment

Cookie18

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
France
I'm like the OP and deciding on which model to get. I am working off of a Early 2015 13'MBP, 256GB with 8GB Ram. The computer is working fine but I do use it everyday for work so I have the itch to buy a new machine. I don't do heavy processing so I don't know if I am so caught up with the new chips. Everyone seems like something magical is going to come out soon, but it could take a while for the big update to take place. I'm leaning towards just buying now and enjoying but if you have another thought, please share.

It is absolutely happening in the next couple of months. The best guess is October because that is when Apple normally announces computers. Apple themselves have said the new ARM Macs will start rolling out before the end of the year.

Comment

simmi99

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2015
Thanks and understood, but other than just a chip, and I know we don't really know, but are other big upgrades likely.

Comment

ry381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
I've only read that it is likely to be Oct and only on the Air and Macbook Pro entry 8th Gen, no design change. Big Sur is the MacOS coming but thats all I am aware of.

Comment

Cookie18

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
France
Thanks and understood, but other than just a chip, and I know we don't really know, but are other big upgrades likely.

We don't know if redesigns are happening across the board. We know that the iMac, Mac Mini and MacBook Pro are the most likely contenders for ARM updates and there are rumours of a new MacBook. It's almost certain that the iMac will be redesigned, if the MacBook is announced that should have a new design too. The Mac Mini probably won't have a redesign.

We know the MacBook Pro is getting a 14" redesign, we just don't know if that overhaul is coming in the next few months with ARM or if they are holding it back.

You can buy an Intel Mac, they will receive support for years but you should do so with the knowledge that the current Macs are on the verge of being obsolete.

Thats the £1650 version, its does look best option, but think I can get away with the 8th Gen and 16Gb RAM

You will definitely be fine with the 8th gen and 16GB of RAM.

Comment

ry381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
We don't know if redesigns are happening across the board. We know that the iMac, Mac Mini and MacBook Pro are the most likely contenders for ARM updates and there are rumours of a new MacBook. It's almost certain that the iMac will be redesigned, if the MacBook is announced that should have a new design too. The Mac Mini probably won't have a redesign.

We know the MacBook Pro is getting a 14" redesign, we just don't know if that overhaul is coming in the next few months with ARM or if they are holding it back.

You can buy an Intel Mac, they will receive support for years but you should do so with the knowledge that the current Macs are on the verge of being obsolete.

I was reading that they expect a new Macbook (Macbook 12" replacement) to have ARM coming in at $799, and new macbook pro 13 to be $1099 with Arm, I guess this is replacing the 8th Gen and the 10th Gen Macs will remain unchanged with 10th Gen intel? RAM could still be a only 8GB, but again talk of 16GB on the $1099 version!

The talk of a 14" is likely next year buy who knows.

Reactions: Cookie18
Comment

Cookie18

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
France
I was reading that they expect a new Macbook (Macbook 12" replacement) to have ARM coming in at $799, and new macbook pro 13 to be $1099 with Arm, I guess this is replacing the 8th Gen and the 10th Gen Macs will remain unchanged with 10th Gen intel? RAM could still be a only 8GB, but again talk of 16GB on the $1099 version!

The talk of a 14" is likely next year buy who knows.

You are correct, the 14” is the wildcard because it was expected at the beginning of this year and the leaks keep changing.

The general theory is that the $800 MacBook might not have 16GB of RAM but everything else should because that’s what they shipped the transition kit Mac Mini with.

Comment

rich32gb5s

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2013
Berkshire
Originally I was looking at a good 16" pro offer but pathetically wasnt sure on colour which created some hesitation (luckily) . Then a 13" pro Amazon deal showed up on hotukdeals a week before last, that I just couldnt refuse. £1375 for the £1800 spec'd model in silver only, so job done! The 16" was way more power than I needed so this for £1k less was perfect and a v lucky find!

Comment

ry381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
Originally I was looking at a good 16" pro offer but pathetically wasnt sure on colour which created some hesitation (luckily) . Then a 13" pro Amazon deal showed up on hotukdeals a week before last, that I just couldnt refuse. £1375 for the £1800 spec'd model in silver only, so job done! The 16" was way more power than I needed so this for £1k less was perfect and a v lucky find!

That is a great deal for the £1800, best I can see is £1650.
Wonder if holding to October will bring any further reductions on that £1650 prob not if it’s not being replaced but if the lower ones get 16GB then maybe a possibility.

The colour choice your not alone. I was all set for space grey partly as my last MacBook Pro was silver so thought a change but reading that the spsce grey doesn’t age as good as the silver for scratches and fingerprints etc has got me thinking, a good deal would certainly make my decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: rich32gb5s
Comment

rich32gb5s

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2013
Berkshire
Indeed and wonder if it was an Amazon price algorithm bug that out competed itself because the base model was the identical price lol. Was in same predicament regarding previous being silver. Id say 90% of macbooks purchased (judging by youtube) are Space grey so its also nice to have some exclusivity

Last edited:
Comment

cashville2400

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
I purchased this one today on an opened box sale from Best Buy.
1D288B5A-9D94-4927-BC88-4E20A0CB8634.jpeg
I don’t care much about ARM and if I change my mind in the future, for this price, I am pretty sure I can get most of my money back. I have learned Apple definitely holds their valve and with them it is better to not buy the entry level one. I would have preferred silver, but I can deal with it for this price. It will be a cool switch up from always having the silver. I can’t wait to get it!

Comment

JamesGoodman

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2015
I'd go for the latest chip with 16GB and the way you use your. computers it will last you for years. Cashvill2 2400 got a great deal on an open box. There is all sorts of good and useful discussion and argument here, but the lines that makes me laugh are the one that says XYZ is "definitely" coming out in ______ (fill in the blank). If anything were ever definite with Apple there would be many fewer people addicted to MacRumors and other future oriented Apple websites. Usually we don't know anything definite until a few weeks, days, sometimes hours before. And that's when there isn't a pandemic wreaking havoc on the world's supply chains. Forget definite. Buy what you need now, enjoy it tomorrow and the next day, and let the future comes when it does and how it does.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.