Which macbook pro 13 inch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Danando1993, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Danando1993 macrumors regular

Basically Im unsure which macbook pro to buy and the decision is between the new updated 13 inch base model or the older bumped up 13inch.

2.5GHz Intel Core i5 - new base model.

2.8GHz Intel Core i7 - last years bumped up from base model version.

I can get either for £1000 so basically which will be more beneficial for the long term the updated version or the older with the i7?

Uses will include word, powerpoint etc, photoshop for photography, itunes mainly basic stuff.

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Have you considered the 13" Air? If you don't need the DVD drive and Ethernet port it might be a decent option.

It sounds like your usage would be far from taxing for the Air or either of the 13" Pros you listed.

The 128GB SSD in the Air is smaller but much faster in day to day use than the hard drive in the Pro.

Just something to consider.

3. Danando1993 thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't really thought about the air to be honest and it does sound like a good option, my only concern is the size of the hard drive and like you said lack of dvd drive which I may need at some point although it does have a SSD. Tough decision think I wanna stick to the pro idea for now though, thanks for the quick reply:)

4. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

There's a thin line between the Air and the Pro. They each have their advantages but usually they lean toward the Pro.

5. Danando1993 thread starter macrumors regular

I just don't know which pro is better for £1000 and which will be most suitable and beneficial for the future.

6. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

I'd go with the new model just because of USB 3.0!

7. angelsguardian macrumors regular

And it is noticeably quicker and a lot quieter and cooler than the 2011.

8. Danando1993 thread starter macrumors regular

Will i7 not be more useful than the i5 in the new model?

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If not for the addition of USB 3 I'd say go w/ last years. But the new one w/ USB 3 is going to be more relevant longer and have better resale value.

10. batlogic macrumors newbie

I would go with the new 2012 version.

The geek bench on the 2012 is 6711 and the 2011 is 6976. Those numbers are a wash in speed.

As already stated, USB3, runs cooler, but add in the 4000 intel graphics chip which runs 35% to 50% faster. So if you want to do any kind of gaming or light graphics, the new ivy bridge cpu setup will last you much longer.