Which Macbook Pro 13" is for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ec1x, Jun 13, 2009.

1. ec1x macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy a macbook pro 13" sometime soon for my first year of college so that i can take advantage of the free touch and printer rebate. I have never owned a mac before so this is all somewhat new to me.

I plan on using it to play video games such as Starcraft 2 when it comes out, programs like word and excel, using photo editing software like photoshop, and doing a light amount of video editing.

So my questions are:
    1. do i get the 2.26 GHz or the 2.53 GHz macbook pro 13"?
    2. should i upgrade the hard drive in either case from question 1, or should i wait and eventually invest in a 7200 rpm HD?

thanks for all your help!

2. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

I am not sure on the system requirements for Starcraft 2, but it may seem like that it might not run as well as you wish, even on the almighty 9400M.

Here's a direct quote from Blizzard:

Nvidia GeForce FXs are pretty old, so I'd imagine that it will work, just not sure how well it will run though.

As per the CPU, it's well above the minimal / alternate requirements.

3. ec1x thread starter macrumors newbie

im not sure if im allowed to do this but i want to bump this thread and get more opinions. thanks

4. qpid macrumors regular

I wouldn't bother with the extra ghz. I would take the money saved and bump the ram to at least 4gb, you can never have too much ram. If you can find a good deal also upgrade the hd to a 7200rpm model. You can likely do both for the extra money that you'd save by not going with the faster proc.

5. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I got the new MBP yesterday, intalled Windows, and the SC2 Beta works like a charm!
    If you want 40+fps, then you should decrease shadow to 'low'.:rolleyes: