Which MacBook Pro (15") Accessories Should I Purchase?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xShane, Jan 5, 2013.

1. xShane, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013

xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Hey,

I just ordered a Macbook Pro (specs in signature) yesterday (eagerly checking the tracking page every hour haha)! This will be my first Mac in 3 years. I'm so excited :D

As a pretty experienced computer user, I know the types of things that can (and sometimes will) go wrong. Like for instance, my old MacBook collected a TON of dust, hairs, crumbs, etc. under the keyboard.

Some things I can think of off the top of my head:

-Keyboard cover: This is probably my biggest concern: "things" collecting under the keys/keyboard over the months/years. I found this one: Click here. And you really can't beat the price of $1. Most of the reviews seem good, but there are some cons. Is there another cheap, but effective/good quality keyboard cover you would recommend?

- Trackpad cover: I'm not really concerned about this. I RARELY use a trackpad (except when I'm not at my desk doing homework or something). I'd only consider it if there was again, a cost-effective, but nice feeling and invisible one.

- I've looked into some cases (such as the Speck cases). However, I'd prefer to keep the beauty of my MacBook Pro as still visible (I didn't exactly buy a MacBook Pro to cover it up with a ton of details; plain & simple is how I like it). Furthermore, they seem to be pretty expensive (AKA out of my budget as a high-schooler; $40+).

- I'd *possibly* look into a screen cover/protection, but in the past I've been able to clean most my screens very easily, making them look like new. I also don't like the idea of something "covering" my screen, because ultimately I think it might still be visible.

- I'm still looking for a good (but low priced) gaming keyboard and mouse. I've bookmarked some on Amazon that are only around $20-40 for a decent gaming keyboard and I've seen some killer mice for only $15-20. I'd really appreciate your two cents on the issue if you know of any excellent gaming keyboards and mice (that are Mac compatible, too).

- I'd love to have a high quality, strong MacBook Pro "elevator" stand. I've seen some on the Apple store for $40-60, but are there any that are less than that? I'm trying to keep my neck healthy (you supposedly should have your laptop/screen so the top is at eye-level with your head looking straight). But I'd hate for my MacBook to fall off the stand, too (I would most likely use a mouse and keyboard when using the stand, so the MacBook itself wouldn't be touched).

On a side note: I prefer to save money wherever possible, so I usually don't spend money unnecessarily. When I do decide to purchase a product, I check to make sure it's low priced, but high quality (which is almost always possible with the right amount of searching). I'm in high school taking some pretty demanding classes, and I play sports (which are extremely time consuming and demanding, too), so you can see how I don't really have time for a job. My budget is basically a) what I can convince my parents is absolutely necessary, like MAYBE a case, and b) my leftover Christmas/birthday money, which is what I'd most likely have to use to buy a keyboard/mouse.

Is there anything else you would highly recommend (preferably not expensive)? Your opinion and advice is greatly appreciated :)

EDIT: Oh, and how effective are those computer locks (the Kensington Portable Combination locks)? I could definitely see that as a NEED whenever I'm out in public (not that I'd leave my laptop alone, but just as that extra level of security).

2. xShane thread starter macrumors 6502a

xShane

3. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

I am also a high school student and got my first MacBook Pro last September( 15" 2.3ghz) and love it. A good stand to elevate the mbp is the rain design mstand. It is $50 but is really worth it, there is no way your mbp will fall off of it. You can't go wrong with that keyboard cover since it is only a dollar. As far as the cases I personally don't use one but if you would like one the speck case is a really good one. The one thing that you didn't mention but really should get is a external hard drive for time machine backups. You can pick up a 1TB external for less than $100. Other than that just enjoy your computer and have fun with it. Sorry for some of the typo's I'm on my ipad. Hope I helped!

4. xShane thread starter macrumors 6502a

xShane

Thanks for your input :)

Regarding stands, do you actually type on your MacBook *while* it's on the stands? If so, wouldn't there be wobbling? How secure and firm is the stand? I'll also most likely end up buying the keyboard covers considering they're so cheap (and hopefully they don't charge $20 for shipping either). As of now, I honestly don't have a need for an external hard drive yet. I back up all my schoolwork and notes on a 16GB flash drive.

5. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

I don't type on the MacBook Pro when it's on the stand; I use a apple keyboard and trackpad because I also have my mbp connected to an external monitor. I doubt there would be any wobbling but I can try typing on it and let you know for sure in a little bit. As for your backup I highly recommend just taking a hit and spending some money on external for a backup so you can have all of your apps, media, and schoolwork backed up along with everything on the hard drive. Trust me you will be thankful you did if your hard drive failed for some freak reason.

6. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

IMO the keyboard and trackpad cover are not needed at all. During the period of time where I had my last Macbook, it was not an issue at all.

7. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

I am typing on my macbook right now with it on the mstand and it feels a bit uncomfortable for a couple reasons. For one the macbook seems to be a bit too high to type comfortably and two, the angle that the mbp is at also makes it a bit uncomfortable. The stand isn't wobbly at all though, but I would recommend just getting a wireless keyboard and mouse with the stand.

8. xShane thread starter macrumors 6502a

xShane

Thanks Trav, that's what I figured would happen.