Which Macbook Pro 15-inch for CS5 design work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bragmonkey, Apr 21, 2011.

1. bragmonkey macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    (I am currently using an older Macbook Pro 15"- intel core duo, 2.16 ghz. I run CS3 and it works well.)

But..
    I just got a new job in marketing. I will be using CS5- mostly Photoshop for photo editing, Illustrator and InDesign for print work. My new boss will be giving me $1000-ish towards a new laptop.

A person at the Apple Store said that I should get the mid-range 15-inch at the very least. Do you agree? Would the base 15-inch be adequate or is the graphics card a real problem in the base model?

I have some money to spend as well- although, money is tight. So, which 15-inch would you recommend?

Thanks!

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

CS5 has been running flawlessly on my Core i5 17", especially after the 8GB RAM upgrade. If you could get a refurbished previous model (due to your tight budget), that would also suite your needs as well as a giant upgrade from your current Mac. Perhaps maybe you could shell out $200 more dollars.

3. phantomsd macrumors 6502

phantomsd

I'm currently running CS5 on my 2007 15-inch MacBook Pro 2.16 Core 2 Duo. Mostly Photoshop/Illustrator. I haven't experienced any severe issues... there are beach balls every now and then.

I'm a VERY patient person and can probably "get by" with 1-2 more years of usage out of this machine BUT the new 2011s are REAL TEMPTING. Might just pull the trigger next month on a 17-inch or a Mac Pro.

I say give it a try at first and if its not working out for you then upgrade!

4. iMackPro macrumors 6502

5. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

If you're doing any kind of design work you're going to want the 17" unless you're going to be tethered to a secondary display all the time. Between all of your tools and palettes and the canvas itself, 1900x1200 really is worth it.

6. frunk macrumors member

I always thought that CS5 wasn't Multi-core efficient. Doesn't RAM matter more? I'd get the base 15" and put 8GB of RAM in that puppy. Add an SSD IF you can.

7. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

I had CS5 running on my 2007 15" 2.4 intel core 2 duo with 4GB of RAM and it ran fine, although it's much better on the 2011 core i5 that replaced it :)

8. slicktor macrumors member

slicktor

I'm running CS5 on my 2010 base model 15". I normally use photoshop, illustrator and indesign. Recently i started using After Effects quite a bit and I definitely think upgrading the ram will definitely help. I can feel my computer lagging behind and getting slowed down with rendering and just having too much going on.