Which Macbook Pro did you order and why?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alienex, Feb 11, 2006.


Which MBP did you order?

  1. The 1.67

    19 vote(s)
  2. The 1.83

    43 vote(s)
  1. alienex macrumors regular

    Feb 11, 2005
    I ordered the 1.67 but now feel for the extra money I should have gotten the 1.83, Double ram, double video, 20 extra gigs. The only reason im not changing my order is because ill probably get pushed back in line (I ordered within 25 mins of the store being back online) and I will probably upgrade my MBP to another revision later on anyways. But What do you guys think and what did you order?
  2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000


    Jan 20, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    If in doubt, upgrade. You are leaning to one side, that means that you will be disappointed with your purchase. If money is not the issue, then why not. Splurge on yourself. You will fill better. Plus there is the extra power to play with.
  3. mmapples macrumors member

    Feb 5, 2006
    money was an issue - but i upped the harddrive and ram so the only thing i'm missing is the extra video memory and the processor speed. with student discount i still saved around 300 bucks.
  4. chaosbunny macrumors 68000


    Mar 11, 2005
    down to earth, far away from any clouds
    I think you made a good choice saving some money. A very nice computer is on its way to you. The poor thing will be very disappointed if it is sent back now. :eek:

    Seriously, you didn't write what you'll be using the computer for. If it is not for high end video editing or something like that but for basic tasks, maybe a large amount of photoshop work and the occasional game it will perform just fine. So many things are changing with the apple line up now, maybe we will even see some new form factor within a year or so. You can always upgrade then if the computer does not fulfill the tasks you throw at it. Since its an intel mac it will have good resale value + you saved some money now. I wouldn't cancel the order, just enjoy your fantastic computer. :)
  5. teerexx52 macrumors 68000


    May 1, 2005
    Florida West Coast
    I ordered the 1.67 version stock. Basically I have always gone with stock versions even with the Powerbooks. I have always been happy and the most I've done is add ram. Ordered 1gb stick from OWC for my new Macbook,.
  6. fisty macrumors member

    Jan 30, 2006
    ordered the 1.83 with 100gb HD


    i know its going to be a kickass machine even if its a rev A, and i dont want to change it for atleast a couple of years so just thought get the higher cpu and vram so i dont fall too much behind with maybe game stats or something...
  7. crazycat macrumors 65816


    Dec 5, 2005
    I got the fastest modle with 2GB RAM and a larger HD. I will be using this laptop A LOT, i will play playign lots of WoW on it. I will be downloading huge files and will have lots of other stuff on it so why not go with the fastest? which i did and i am happy i did.
  8. jsalzer macrumors 6502a


    Jan 18, 2004

    The addition of the Intel chip was enough to get my bosses to finally agree to get me a Mac laptop (we're a Wintel company, but I have my own iMac there that I use for many things). I ordered the cheaper of the two (with a matching second 512 or RAM), firstly because I didn't want to push my luck on the cost (comparisons to $1200 Dells were being made), and secondly because the current minimum requirement for Apple's software is 32MB of video RAM. Surely 128 will be more than enough to last the 3 years I hope to get out of the machine. I can't imagine the minimum requirement will go above 64 by then.

    Granted, there's no gaming involved. I'd rather watch TV than game. Maybe I'm just lazy. ;)
  9. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I'm on your side on this one, but I don't really understand this sort of advice given by the majority of the members here.

    I say you made a good choice because there really isn't much difference between 1.67 and 1.83 GHz. Honestly. How can one be for high end video editing and the other one not be? They're so close in performance. If you were doing any high end video editing, you wouldn't do it on either machine and get a PM instead. In 2 years time, that 160 MHz difference is going to look miniscule in terms of real world performance, since they're both going to seem painfully slow when compared to whatever is out at that time, just like it was when the 1.2 GHz and 1.33 GHz 12" iBook and PB models were introduced, and people asked if the extra $300-400 for the PB was worth it. Of course it wasn't unless 64 MB of video ram was THAT important to you. The difference in real world performance now seems silly, since they both became obsolete at the same time. I find it kind of funny that so many people started threads about a speed difference of 130 MHz in machines that were new 1 year ago.

    You save $300 even if you upgrade your RAM and HD space, according to mmapples. That's quite a lot of dough.

    On the other hand, if you plan on gaming a lot, then get the fastest machine you can because a slower machine with a worse video card isn't going to let you do what you want.

    Also, get the faster machine if money isn't a factor.
  10. iGary Guest


    May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I wanted to order one, but I kept throwing up in my mouth a little bit™ every time I had to enter my credit card.

    (P.S. I'm waiting until Adobe goes Universal.)
  11. MacSyn macrumors regular

    Feb 5, 2006
    I ordered 1.67G one. I'll add extra RAM when it arrives. With what I am using it for I think it's fast enough and it will help me get through until the "Intel Powermac" debut. For the extra a few hundred dollars I saved, I'd rather put it in my "Intel Powermac" fund.
  12. Winstonp macrumors 6502a


    Jan 2, 2005
    I just gots to have the latest and greatest... for mac gaming and just organizing my media at fast speeds.

    I knew that I wouldn't notice the difference of .166GHZ!!!

    it's the 7200rpm hard drive upgrade ($180) , and the 2gb ram ($220 DSM) that will make this thing insanely faster than the stock "upper" model
  13. emw macrumors G4


    Aug 2, 2004
    I ordered the 1.83 GHz through work. Still waiting for it, of course, but I'm looking forward to having it in the next few weeks. I'll still have my old TiBook to fall back on if there are problems, of which there will hopefully be few.
  14. iQuit macrumors 6502a


    May 13, 2005
    I am getting the high end 1.83 GHz model in two weeks for the following reasons.

    1. I get an education discount

    2. The extra 128 MB of video will really help when Universal Video Apps come out and with editing movies in iMovie

    3. The slight performance gain in the processor

    4. The added memory

    5. I have been dreaming of this laptop for a long time. So why not go all out?
  15. alienex thread starter macrumors regular

    Feb 11, 2005
    I do alot of conversions of video to get into my ipod and I use imovie a fair amount, is the better video card going to make that big of a difference in that?
  16. iQuit macrumors 6502a


    May 13, 2005
    No, they both have the same video card, one just had more memory for high end video apps. I would still consider buying the high end model though, in the long run it will be better for video intensive apps.

  17. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

    Feb 1, 2006
    i ordered the stock option 1.67ghz, mainly as i'll be using this computer as a recording device when i go out to local shows. throw a microphone up and plug into the board, and go crazy. i'm really excited to have a mac to bring to shows. the extra video power and the .166 ghz rating just didn't seem like all that big of an upgrade, so i skipped it.
  18. Koodauw macrumors 68040


    Nov 17, 2003
    I ordered the 1.67 version. Ill upgrade the ram, but the extra processing power and bigger video card memory are of little use to me, I chose to save the money. With it I can buy a nice sleeve, a bag, etc.
  19. p:ro macrumors member

    Feb 4, 2006

    I'm lost now - not trying to be sarcastic!

    the MBP 1.67 has a "Ati Mobility X1600 with 128 GDDR3" ???

    After the presentation of Steve Jobs I instantly checked the specsheets of the Intel Mac products. And ONE THING i'am sure about, is that both MacBook Pro models had 256 VRAM!!! The 17" Intel iMac had a 256 VRAM upgrade option - still has!


    Official Announcements after keynote: MBP 1.67 | X1600 128 GDDR3

    Was it a mistake of the specs on the net ?? Anyone seen that aswell...
    If you ordered in apple Onlinestore a MBP 1.67 with 256 VRAM and you get 128 VRAM I think you have the right for a free upgrade LOL ... just curious

    Why didn't apple just use in all Intel Macs the 256 Version - costs them nothing!

    Gaming: www.barefeats.com check it - POWERPC
  20. NeuronBasher macrumors regular

    Jan 17, 2006
    When I looked on the spec sheets immediately following the keynote, I never read more than 128MB of VRAM on the 1.67 GHz model either on the Apple site or on any of the live "blogcasts" of the event that I was following.

    Sorry, seems like you just conflated the two configurations a little bit. Easy enough to do when you're excited. :)
  21. Panu macrumors regular

    Mar 31, 2005
    Virginia suburbs of DC
    The 1.83 is a much better value

    I have promised myself a MacBook Pro, but I don't see the sense of ordering it by mail in my particular circumstance. So I am waiting for it to appear in the brick-and-mortar store. Meanwhile, I wanted to figure out whether to buy the 1.67 or the 1.83. The price difference appears to be $500, but the configurations are different.

    The only way to do a proper cost comparison is to configure the 1.67 to be as similar to the 1.83 as possible. So I configured the 1.67 with 1GB of memory on one stick, just like the stock 1.83, and with a 100MB 5400 rpm drive, just like the stock 1.83.

    The result: The 1.67 is $2,299 and the 1.83 is $2,499.

    For $200, I'd get a faster CPU and 128MB of video memory.

    So I conclude that if I'm going to add anything to the stock model, it's a better value to buy the 1.83.
  22. T-Stex macrumors 6502

    Jan 15, 2006
    I had ordered the 1.83GHz model. I just felt that if I was going to be spending the money on a new laptop, I might as well get the high-end version. However, I had thought about getting the 1.6GHz model, and probably wouldn't have been upset in the least with it. They'll both be great machines, and wouldn't expect anyone to be dissapointed with either. As it turns out, I cancelled the order for the MacBook Pro model, and am planning on waiting a bit before ordering it.
  23. nospleen macrumors 68020


    Dec 8, 2002
    I had ordered the 1.83, but I lost my patience today while I was at the Apple store. But, I saved a little money and I really do not need portability. I almost made it though, it was supposed to ship next week!! :p

    Attached Files:

  24. Plecky macrumors regular

    Jun 29, 2005
    I think I would've gone with a suped up 20" Core Duo oppose to a stock 17 with a 20" display. Also, is anyone else getting the feeling it's about time for them to update the cinema displays? I have this nagging feeling they will in the next couple of month's so I've been holding out getting a 20" one so if they do update them with isights or what not I can get a old 20" for less or get the new one if deemed worth it (aka a 20" display with HD resolution, oppose to only having the 23" and 30" HD). I don't know, I also would've gone with a 20" iMac and saved up for the 20" second display just because I'm kind of weird in that "matching" sense. Although if you don't need the portability, guess you get to reap your benefits early! I thought I didn't need the portability back when I got a Mac Mini instead of iBook, then realized 1. I was wrong and do need portability, and 2. I need something much stronger then a iBook or Mac Mini, so the MacBook Pro was pretty good timing - very happy they went with the PowerBook/MacBook Pro line before the iBook/MacBook or Mac Mini media center route. Even a Intel Core Solo iBook/MacBook I don't think would do it for me, I know my 1.42 G4 sure isn't and its native with everything and a gig of ram! Although I will miss a improved CS2 experience, and hopefully office '06 comes out soon and native, or just a universal binary of office '04 is released. Excluding Office and CS2, everything else I need will be universal by the end of march and office isn't so intensive I couldn't deal with it in rosetta emulation I'm sure. CS2 will be the only downside of my purchase, but a 1.67 G4 would've have been that much of a improvement over a 1.42 G4 so couldn't stand going that route. At least when CS3 comes out I can rest assured it will run better on my MacBook Pro then on the last generation of PowerBooks, so "patience" must be my middle name, first waiting for it the ship over a month (c'mon Feb 15th!!) and then waiting for CS3 (come on late '06/early '07!!);)
  25. PieMac macrumors 6502a

    Oct 3, 2002
    I have both backordered at Amazon but I voted for the 1.83 because that's the one I think that I will probably wind up with and it's the one I ordered first...still trying to decide, though. And I'm still trying to justify selling my perfectly good year old PowerBook to upgrade so, in that respect, the 1.67 is pretty appealing-at least it makes it easier for justification purposes. :p

Share This Page