Which Macbook Pro do I need ??? HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sportsfan1234, Aug 2, 2010.

1. sportsfan1234 macrumors member

I am a PC user buying my first macbook and need help selcting right right one. I absolutely want the 15'' screen, I think the 13'' is too small, otherwise I'd just buy a macbook. I use my computer for music, email, and office, and facebook. I want the fastest computer that will not slow down if I have powerpoint, limewire,itunes, poker, fb running at the same time. I have a lot of music, but not as many movies on my computer. I just want to know if I need the 2.4 GHz or 2.53 GHz ? Is the 2.53 a waste of $$$ for my needs, or will I need it so it doesn't slow down my computer in a year or so...?

Also Will 4GB be plenty or do I need the 8GB ? And 5400 or 7200rps ? I have also been told all macbooks are the same in terms of internet speed b/c your "connection" is your internet connection and is seperate no matter what comuter you have. All your advice is certainly appreciated!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The base 15" is just fine, even 13" would be. 4GB is plenty but 7200rpm HD would offer an upgrade though personally I would get SSD. The speed of downloads are dependent on the speed of your internet connection, not on the speed of your computer.

3. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Are you certain you need the bigger screen? I thought I did too, but I've been totally cool with my 13-inchers thanks to the increased portability. I take my MB with me almost every day to school.

As far as the specs, for what you're doing you'd prolly be just fine with the 2.4 and 4 GB RAM~that's what I have, only mine's Core2D, not i5/i7. You can always upgrade the RAM yourself later (it's super easy and instructions are all over the internet). I originally had the 5400 RPM drive, but a few months ago I switched to a 7200 drive. I noticed a decent increase in speed as far as opening applications~drive speed doesn't have anything to do with internet browsing. Although, the new drive is a little noisier than the 5400, which is annoying, but I'm living with it until SSD prices drop to a reasonable price. If I were you, I'd go with the base model you mentioned. However, if you have some cash to burn, it might not hurt to spring for the extra specs~its up to you.

4. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

Ram

I thought I'd need 8GB RAM b/c deosn't RAM keep your computer moving fast when you have multiple appplications running at the same time ?

5. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

It won't 'slow down' your computer in a year or so. 2.4GHZ will be good to go for several years. My wife's blackbook is still doing great with the 2.0GHZ processor, 2GB RAM, 5400RPM drive, 4+ yrs later.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You don't use that many apps at the same time. When you're using CS5 and Safari with 100 tabs you should think about upgrading it but for usage, 4GB is enough

7. aohus macrumors 68000

it does to a certain degree. but you won't be utilizing all 8gb of your ram for the tasks you are attempting to complete.

from the tasks you mentioned, 4gb is fine, unless you want to dual boot, and run some virtualization program running 8 instances of windows 7. 8GB is definitely overkill.

8. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

I've never owned a laptop. How noisy will the 7200 be vs. the 5400 ? and what is the advantage of the SSD drive ?

9. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Yes it will. Honestly, if I could I'd like to upgrade to 8GB, but mine can only handle 6GB, and it's too expensive for me to justify it on student loans. Like I said, if you've got the cash, go ahead & spring for the extra specs. RAM is a good place to invest if you have to decide between that or upgrading the hard drive or processor speed. Wouldn't hurt to get the better graphics card either, if you've got the $$.

10. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

What these guys said ;).

I should mention that the main reason I'd like to upgrade to 8gb ram is because when I run Win7 with Fusion, my computing slows to a crawl. A painfully slow crawl.

11. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

I'm def getting the 2.4GHz with the 4gb now. Just debating now between the 500 ATA @ 5400 or 7200. I'm not sure what would anoy me more, the speed difference or the noise if I get a the 7200...

12. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

SSD is hella fast, but unnecessary for most people. As I sit here in my quiet office, my 7200 drive is bothering me enough (it sounds like when you put your ear up to a conch shell and "Hear the ocean"), that I had to throw iTunes into the mix. If you always use your computer with ambient noise goin' on, you won't notice the extra sound. If I were you I'd get the 5400.

13. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

You won't really notice the speed difference too much, but you'll definitely notice the sound, unless you're one of the lucky people who happen to get a 7200 that is silent...

14. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

I don't play games or anything. I just hate it when my computer crawls when I have limewire opened up. It basically stops responding. My internet stalls and is"not responding" I want to throw it out the window. Thats the nly reason I'm still considering the 7200 haha

15. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

lol. Get FiOS if you can. I imagine that would help immensely. It's been a long time since I used Limewire, but are you constantly downloading music, or do you just leave it open to share with others?

16. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

I don't know much about computers- as you can tell I'm a very basic user. Just hate having a slow computer. I've obviously heard of FiOs, but what exactly is it ? Limewire rules cause its free, but sucks b/c it slows the hell out of your computer when its running...I'd be interested in it though. Do you have to pay for FiOs ? If so, how much is it ?

17. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

Can anyone tell me exactly what Fios is, how $$$ it is, and how to get it on my macbook pro ?

18. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Fiber Optic internet. It's offered by Verizon around here, but may not be available in your area. Who is your internet provider? I get 10mbps transfer speeds for $42/month.

As for Limewire, use it if you need to, then QUIT the program when you're done and it won't hog your resources.

19. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

hey

i would actually recommend the base macbook. I am running a slightly slower version of it and i run limewire, itunes (4250 songs) iphoto (14 000+ photos) safari running with 5+ forums open, quick time watching the oc, diablo lod running and imovie rendering videos, its definitely working but i am running a 2.16 ghz processor with 4 gb ddr2 ram a 5400 rpm 160 gb hard drive. and the 13" scree looks small when you have it parked beside a 27" imac led, when you get it at home on your desk more in your face it is AMAZING the screens are so vibrant that i prefer it over my LG 26" tv. But the 15" macbook pro will definitely be a more long lasting. i bought the fastest macbook i could and it was still comparable with upto the last years macbooks. YOU will love it haha lmk if you have any questions.

20. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

This should help:

http://tinyurl.com/26ejgsl

21. advres Guest

advres

You could get a 3 year old macbook and still be fine with your crazy processor intensive requirements! :rolleyes:

22. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help. I'm def going with 15'' 2.4 GHz pro - gloss high res, 4GB, ....now just debating the 5400rpms or 7200 rpms.... on one hand the 7200 is faster (slow, unresponsive computers annoy the hell out of me when im running multiple non-complex programs. ex. limewire and powerpoint are the most complex I ever run) vs the 5400 will will be quieter but slower.

Having a desktop, I am new to macs and labtops all togeher, if you had to rank the speed/ noise on a scale of 1-10 what would it be for each ???

e.g. (speed 5400 - 6 ; 7200 - 9 ) ( loud 5400 - 5 ; 7200 - 8 )..???

this information would help immensely in my decision.....thanks!

23. DannoTheManno macrumors newbie

I was thinking simiarly with the 13" MBP. Am I going to suffer on the CoreDuo over the 15" i5? I just think 15" is too big to be properly portable, would I be better going for say 2.4 CoreDuo with 8GB of Ram or 2.66 CoreDuo with 4GB of Ram as I can't justify spending more than £1,200.

I was originally going to get an Air as a replacement for my 12" Powerbook that has being dying for the past two years. But thought the poor battery life and the need to buy a superdrive, and potential a new 11.6" MacAir might come out after the iPod offer ends. Though I do have an iPhone and an iPod Classic.

I'm going to uni in the states, would be using laptop as main computer for 12 months as can't take my iMac with me due to size restrictions otherwise would probs just get the iPad.

Thanks for any suggestions.

24. kalex macrumors 65816

Go for 7200 RPM drive. You will notice speed improvement and shouldn't be too much noise. if its too noisy for you, you can always install quieter 7200 RPM drive your self. But I think You will be fine

25. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

I have no idea how to install any of that stuff....thats why I'm looking to order everything I need preinstalled ahead of time. Is the 7200 that much faster ? I am just trying to figure if the juice is worth the squeeze with the nosie of the 7200...