Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maukey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
I'm trying to decide between these two configurations:

15" 2.4GHz Intel Core i5
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
256GB Solid State Drive
MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display

or

13" 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
256GB Solid State drive

This is strictly a personal/entertainment laptop. It will mainly be used for Internet Browsing/Media Downloading, Some Microsoft Office Use, Movie Watching, iMovie, iChat, etc. The 13" is about $75 less.

Am I configuring overkill?

Any advice/opinions are definitely welcome.

Thanks!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
The 13" will most likely suffice your needs, but the screen may be to small. An SSD is not really required for your needs, but you will see quite an improvement using it.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Why are you comparing a 13" with 8GB of RAM to a 15" with 4GB of RAM? For your needs as you described them you have no need for 8GB of RAM.

Also what's up with needing an SSD? Sure the performance increase is nice, but for your needs I would hardly call it critical.

For the type of use that you have indicated I would suggest getting either the base model 15" or the 13" with stock RAM and maybe the 7200 RPM HD upgrade. The Higher Resolution and screen size of the 15" is nice but it all depends on your need and how much portability means to you. Comparing these two options will give you better clarity and you may realize that you could do just fine with a Macbook rather than having to spend the dough on a MBP. Is this your first Mac laptop? and if not what are you upgrading from?

Maukey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Why are you comparing a 13" with 8GB of RAM to a 15" with 4GB of RAM? For your needs as you described them you have no need for 8GB of RAM.

Also what's up with needing an SSD? Sure the performance increase is nice, but for your needs I would hardly call it critical.

For the type of use that you have indicated I would suggest getting either the base model 15" or the 13" with stock RAM and maybe the 7200 RPM HD upgrade. The Higher Resolution and screen size of the 15" is nice but it all depends on your need and how much portability means to you. Comparing these two options will give you better clarity and you may realize that you could do just fine with a Macbook rather than having to spend the dough on a MBP. Is this your first Mac laptop? and if not what are you upgrading from?
I currently own a 13" Mac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 2 GB 667 MHz Ram. My wife is taking over the Mac once I get the MP. Thanks.

paintballswimgu

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
the ram upgrade is pointless for you. Very few people need 8 GB of ram. SSD is also probably overkill for you as well. Get a 500 GB 7200 rpm. Its a good midpoint between ssd and the stock drive. Basically, get the base model of the 13 in. Or the 15 in. and enjoy your new computer

Scrib

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2007
I am sort of on the same fence here... Have a 2006 CD MBP that I want to put out to pasture. My computing needs have changed quite a bit in the past few years and really need a laptop for everyday "stuff". I have an iMac and mac mini to do a lot of my video/photo stuff and file serving.

I think I'm past the whole screen size issue. I was initially concerned that going from 15.4" down to 13.3" would be an issue. However, after spending time on both, I think that issue is now moot.

But there's something that is keeping me from just getting the 13" MBP, an SSD and moving on. Maybe it's the C2D versus i5 difference and the "argument" that the C2D is old. But do I really need that much horsepower in the i5? Not a big gamer, so graphics are not a huge need either. Is $1199 a fair price for a laptop with those specs?

Not sure what it is, but it's annoying. It's not money, either. Ugh.

swamesp

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2009
Somewhere on Earth
Even I'm on same boat. I have already given my questions in the other threads and the friendly folks here have replied to me saying C2D will serve my needs.

But I wanted to have my first mac for about 4-6 years (yes i have had my PCs till their death in 3-4 years and wish to have them longer) so want to make sure if the extra 550$ is worth the i5 (base model 15").

Hackint0sh

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
the ram upgrade is pointless for you. Very few people need 8 GB of ram. SSD is also probably overkill for you as well. Get a 500 GB 7200 rpm. Its a good midpoint between ssd and the stock drive. Basically, get the base model of the 13 in. Or the 15 in. and enjoy your new computer

If you are running Windows under parallels or VMWare you'll want the 8 gig of ram. Otherwise I agree with paintball.

Maukey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
If you are running Windows under parallels or VMWare you'll want the 8 gig of ram. Otherwise I agree with paintball.
When I first got into macs 2 years ago I used VMWare with XP. Now I just use strictly OSX on my macs. I have a Desktop Vista Rig I built for all my gaming needs. Thanks

Benito

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto, Canada

8G of RAM is great, but I have been using Windows with VMWare for 3 years and have 4G of RAM. Under Windows I run a medical suite for patient care and I use MacOSX for everything else running Keynote, Safari, Mail and iTunes constantly without any issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.