which macbook pro for audio and maybe some video

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by enthawizeguy, Mar 3, 2011.

1. enthawizeguy macrumors 6502

I do audio engineering and produce music. I am upgrading from the 2007 macbook pro 2.4ghz.

I was thinking about getting the low end 15 inch macbook pro with a hi res screen and 750gb 5400 rpm drive which i will upgrade later when 7200rpm's are available . I will mostly be using my laptop for djing , logic, ableton and pro tools but may want to do some video editing as i am getting a job in post production. Will i be fine with the low end model? I am worried because i heard the graphics card is worse than the last macbook. Also screen wise do you think i will be fine with the stock screen or should i go with the hi res. I like the glossy screens but i am also worried if it will strain my eyes. Anyways your opinions and advice are appreciated.

2. enthawizeguy thread starter macrumors 6502

for graphic design any should be fine...i am wondering about for audio editing, maybe video editing, external monitor use and watching movies , maybe editing video, and an an occasional game if ever.

3. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

New final cut pro in a couple of months. Maybe wait for that to see what they recommend. But certainly NOT the 13". Anything else with the dedicated graphics card will be fine

4. toxic macrumors 68000

any 15" will work. I think the res upgrade is worth it, but only you can say if glossy or matte would be better since you're the one who knows your working conditions best.

5. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yeah any of the 15" models or above should be more than sufficient. The quad core will be fine for audio and will be great at video encoding! [​IMG]

6. Mac Composer macrumors member

I use a 15" i7 with an external 24" monitor, works great.

I use Logic with a "lot" of virtual instrument tracks. I keep all of my samples stored on fast external drive. I don't know how you use Logic or how much you push it, but my advice is to get the fastest machine you can afford, and absolutely get a 7200 rpm drive. 5400 doesn't cut it for pro audio. Upgrade your RAM to 8GBs from a third party supplier.

7. macheed macrumors newbie

I use a 15" i7 with a high res screen and find that it works well. It is not too big to be portable but the screen is big enough to do video editing with Adobe Premiere Pro. i did look at the 17" screen but decided that it would be too big to carry around easily. When doing a long video editing session I use a 24" external screen. I think that this all works just fine and I don't regret my decision. I hope that this helps.