Which Macbook pro for Audio engineering

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skika, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Skika macrumors 68030

hi,

i am attending Audio engineering in october and i am looking for a new Macbook that will replace my current core 2 duo unibody Macbook pro 15, which is still a nice machine but i want to sell it since it s still in warranty and i want something future-proof for like good 2 years that will run Logic smoothly with many plugins. I have been thinking about getting the previous gen 17 inch i5 model(which i could get for 1700 euros from the store who still has 2 or 3 in storage), or the new generation 15 inch sandy bridge, or the new 17 inch sandy bridge. I all ready bought an SSD which i will install in whichever model i choose.

Have the problems with overheating with the new models been fixed?
    Would you recommend a 17 inch screen for audio?
    Are the differences between i5 previous gen. and the new processors huge or minor?
    I have heard that the 17 inch models have better screens, not just in resolution, but more color gamut, is this true?

Sorry for any mistakes, english is not my first language

Thank you for your answers.

2. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

=====THE MOST POWERFUL=======!!!!!!!always,lol.

the new machines are great,twice the grunt,graphics,not to say the old model was bad,not at all,but the newer ones are great,as for overheating,no worries,its normal to git heat from em under load.ive played crysis 2 for 8 hrs with fans buzzing and no probs,solid as man.garn git one,done garage band recordings,video editing,photo raw edits,good as gold,kills it,17 is bastards to lug, just bware of that,hi res 15 is the sweet spot for portability and grunt,all about what suits ,if your lugging it a lot go for 15 id say,

3. Skika thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you for your reply. With overheating i actually meant the freezing problem that have been reported awhile ago when under big load.

4. -BigMac- macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

17" anti-glare :D
    But as stated, the 15" Hi-Res is also very good. I personally the screen size and the ppi of the 17". But this changes with everyones preferances.
    Either way i am sure you will not be dissapointed :)

5. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Get the 17" if you are going to be doing any work in Logic then you need the extra screen space, also i believe the 17"ers run the quietest because of the extra room for air to circulate.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

lol no.

7. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

if your serious get the 17" ultimate

8. Skika thread starter macrumors 68030

What is a 17" ultimate? Is that a maxed out 17?

9. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Actually for audio work, Id be more tempted to suggest the 15" ultimate + 27" Cinema Display. Especially since most audio courses will let you loose on a professional studio, with the required technology and software already there, and any other work would be in your room (The 17 really isn't portable - especially not if you are lugging it around to class daily) - and you can get plenty of audio work done on the 15" HR screen. (Hell, I still use Logic Pro at 1440*900 most of the time - even with a 27" Cinema at my disposal, and I get plenty done)

10. PAPO macrumors 6502

there are 2 things I recommend to anyone putting their laptop under load "Cool Feet" or something similar that raises the laptop slightly allowing air to circulate underneath to help keep it cooler, and SMC Fan Control to manually raise the fan speed to keep it cooler but you'll only really need that if your using it under high load on your lap :p

11. Skika thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for all the replies, i have decided that i will keep my current macbook ,put the money on the side for now, and wait for the next refresh.

Reasons for doing this

-my macbook can keep me going till the refresh

-i want my new computer to last me maybe a bit longer than i first wanted

-a possible total redesign with the next refresh is predicted, which if it happens would bring many "goodies" not just a spec upgrade.