Which Macbook / Pro for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Incrimn8r, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Incrimn8r macrumors newbie

Hi all, I am looking to purchase my 1st Macbook and I need some advice on what level to get. I would like to be able to run Autocad and Autodesk inventor in either bootcamp or one of the virtual windows programs, also do some basic photo editing and watch the occasional HD video. Where do I start?

In a perfect world I would like a 15" screen but if the smaller 13" Macbook Pro's will do what I need then I could save some money and go that way. What do you think?

2. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I find the 15" to be the perfect balance between portability and features (especially the screen size) if this is your only computer. If it is a companion, go for the 13".

3. McBeats macrumors 6502a

this is a good guideline... I agree with this. 17" might be too big for a classroom desk, and 13 might be too small for work space.

4. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

I think the above are true. If you would like some extra screen space while on the go on not at a desk, the 15" is for you. Also, the dedicated video cards will come in handy with games and Open CL.

If you want the smallest possible laptop, go with the 13" and possibly an external monitor. If you want to run virtual machines, have at least 4 GB of memory. If you can afford it, I recommend getting 8 (I tell you from experience:).)

Good luck whichever you get ;)!