Which Macbook Pro for recording on Garageband/Logic?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mac4matt, Sep 11, 2008.

1. mac4matt macrumors member

Hey guys, I know this has probably been talked about before, but I'm trying decide on a MBP. My main concern is, will I "notice a difference" between the 3mb cache on the low-end and the 6mb cache on the high end MBP? I will be using it for a lot of recording - possibly up to 16 tracks using Logic.

Thanks in advance!

2. mac4matt thread starter macrumors member

And I'll be upgrading either machine to 4GB of RAM on my own (probably from Newegg).

3. dkeninitz macrumors regular

I use a slightly older MB Pro (2gig of memory) with the 2mb cache to run Logic Studio. It works pretty well, but (naturally) pales in comparison to my MacPro w/ 8gb of memory. I don't have many latency problems on the MB Pro, but I have NONE on the MacPro, as you'd expect.

I don't know if the 3mb/6mb cache will make a huge difference: Logic can use a LOT of processor power (depending on what you're doing with it), and I think that may be the bigger issue.

I don't use Garage Band, but wouldn't imagine it would much of an issue with either of your choices; it's not nearly as robust (and thus processor and memory intensive) as Logic.