Which MacBook Pro is best for Final Cut Express/Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ItsMattLive, Nov 11, 2010.

1. ItsMattLive macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone, I'm buying a Macbook Pro in the next two days and i'm only holding off because i'm trying to get some decent advice if the computer will be able to be quick and efficient when using Final Cut Express/Pro.

The specs of the Macbook Pro is:

2.40GHz i5 Processor (Turbo Boost to 2.93GHz)
    4GB DDR3 Ram
    320GB Hard Drive.

- I'm also going to buy a 27" Cinema Display.

Looking forward to your replies.

2. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

The 17 inch would be a much better choice if you're serious about FCP.

FCP needs all the screen resolution it can get. The 17inch also lets you add an eSATA express card for much faster external disk speed.

3. ItsMattLive thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm planning to buy the 15" 2.4 i5 plus a 27" cinema display. - would this be alright?

4. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Yup
    However, if you can afford it, try and get the i7 that Apple offers on their top-end 15"

5. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

It depends how serious you are about digital video. The occasional YouTube upload, or lots of editing?

Why not go to an Apple store and see what FCP is like on that small screen.

I know you're buying the monitor too... but if you do all your editing on that, you may as well just buy a desktop! Also, that monitor is really expensive if you compare it to the cost of the base model 27 inch iMac.

For around the price of the MBP and the monitor, you could instead get the base model 27 inch iMac and a MacBook Air. You could sell your mini too.

An iMac would be better for FCP than either the Mini or the MBA - since it has a decent full speed internal hard drive.

6. ItsMattLive thread starter macrumors newbie

Well at the moment i'm doing YouTube uploads, but i'm going to really start producing alot of videos (christmas school holidays coming up) and i'm going to be off school for 9 weeks, so i'm going to be producing heaps of videos. - Also portability needs to be taken into consideration, as i'll be taking my macbook to school, friends houses and away on holidays too.

Yeah, I took that into consideration. I've got enough money to buy both the MPB and the Cinema Display.. Yep - Mac Mini's going to be a 'media center' computer now too.

What about for Final Cut Express?

7. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Yup on FC Express
    Also, def go with the i7 instead of the regular i5

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I've been messing around with video over the last few months and ended up buying Final Cut Pro, since FCE won't do 1080p. It will do 720p, so if you're OK with that then it should be fine.

720p will also stress your machine a lot less - so it's a good choice.

iMovie is actually pretty decent for simple videos.

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I second this. Get the iMac + the base model MacBook Air. Far better editing station, and a far more portable notebook computer. I don't see a downside to this arrangement, frankly...

10. ItsMattLive thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that's good. Both my Nikon's film in 720p so it's not a problem. I'm definatley thinking Final Cut Express.. Plus - it's like $200AU instead of $1399 AU haha.

Thanks for your replies mate, this has really helped.

11. ItsMattLive thread starter macrumors newbie

This setup sounds great, but I need a powerful and portable machine to edit video 'on the run' so to speak...

12. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

The i7, for the mobile cpu's does not offer much of a performance gain. The i5 will suffice. Of course, if money is no option than get the i7. But in reality it does not offer much more. The real advantage of the i7 model is that you also get an additional 256mb of video ram.

13. ItsMattLive thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks James. Is the i5 more than enough for final cut with 4gb Ram?

14. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

Yes. I run the entire FCP editing suite on a 13 inch 09 MBP (see sig). I do have an external monitor, but the base specs on the 2.4 i5 will be plenty for you. Save the money and put it toward a nice external drive for a scratch disk, OR a third party SSD.

15. ItsMattLive thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, great. What type of monitor do you use? I'm going to be editing on the 15" for at least two months before going ahead and buying the 27" Cinema Display.

16. geniusABBY macrumors newbie

Obviously, I realize a 15" or 17" would be ideal, but would a well-taken care of upgraded 13" with external hard drive be able to work these?