Which Macbook Pro is best for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by morgothaod, Sep 4, 2009.

1. morgothaod macrumors regular

I'll be using it for watching streaming video (youtube and Hulu.com), playing a video game or two (not using bootcamp, mainly my gaming will be done on a console), and browsing the internet with a song playing in the background.

Option A: 13-inch: 2.26GHz, 2GB Memory
    Option B: 13-inch: 2.26GHz, 4GB Memory
    Option C: 13-inch: 2.53GHz, 4GB Memory

2. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

My policy is always to purchase the best spec you can. If you can only afford the 13" then go for the top end one.

3. dennis123123 macrumors member

I really hope you get banned from these forums some time. With regard to the 13" MBP you are always a complete twat in that you assume its the best people can afford. I could afford the 17" MBP if I wanted... you know why next week i'm buying the 13"? Because its not the size and weight of a freaking GRAVESTONE!!

To the OP: I'd go for (and i'm going for!!) the 13" 2.26 with 4GB of RAM. the slight increase in cpu clock for the higher one is not worth the cost.

4. reservedegotist macrumors regular

5. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

LOL:D

to the op:
    I would go with the one above, you indeed don't the 15". You could even do it on an older thing. Any computer can surf the internet and meanwhile play music. But if you want more like rendering or do a lot at the same time you could use more ram. (4 GB instead of 2GB). And if you want everything at light speed, take the 2.53 ghz. My sis has the lowest specced one, but it does everything perfect, even 1080p. (although the resolution of the screen doesn't support that).

But when you're only doing internet, you could go with portability and think about the macbook air. It does wifi 5 hours (the same with the macbook pro which only makes 7 hours when you're only typing text with screen on low and absolutely no wifi). Is fast enough for what you want, but really portable.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I agree with Shambo. If you can afford the latter option then go for it, just know that it's unlikely you will really notice the speed difference to justify the cost.

Also, without knowing what the OP is going to do with the machine, it's hard to make a real determination. With that being said, the ram upgrade is important.

7. fried-gold macrumors member

I always think you should taylor a computer to your needs; i always find it funny when you see someone with a top of the range computer and they only ever use it for browsing the internet, or the other way around, someone trying to edit massive photoshop or 3d file on some crapped out pc. I have a 15" uMBP because I need the extra processing and graphics card, and I like the bigger screen. My flat mate has an old 17" because she studies graphics and the screen is the most important thing to her. Sounds like you would wise in choosing a 13" perfect for carrying around all the time for music and internet. However I would go for option B or C on the occassion you do need a little more oomph, you'll really appreciate the extra ram.

8. kasakka macrumors 68000

I'd pick the 2.26 with 4GB. In fact that's exactly what I got recently. It will work great for the things you do. You wouldn't really even notice the difference between 2.26 and 2.53 but the RAM does make everything that bit smoother. I picked the 13" because it was the most affordable yet the most portable. As I type this it's connected to a 30" external display, Apple small keyboard, FireWire audio interface, 100 Mbps net connection and Logitech mouse - essentially turning it into a desktop system when I'm at home. When I go to work I can just throw the computer in my bag and it won't be too bulky or heavy.

9. morgothaod thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies, I can afford the most expensive Macbook Pro if I wanted it. But I don't and I also don't want to spend more money on features that won't benefit me at all. So basically a faster CPU, means my computer will boot up faster and more RAM means I can do more things at once? Like I said, I won't really be doing much. The only "multi-tasking" I'll be doing is possibly looking at a website while listening to a song on youtube (or itunes or whatever). So would more RAM benefit me in that? The difference between option "A" and "B" is $100. Is $100 a great deal when it comes to getting 2 more Gig of RAM?

Thanks everyone :)