Which MacBook Pro is for me??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kyprea, Jul 19, 2009.

1. kyprea macrumors newbie

kyprea

I want the macbook for music, movies, photos, internet, school work etc. I also use photoshop but only for light editing and 1-2 a week. To give you an idea of how much memory i would need, i currently have (30GB, movies)(8GB, music)(10GB, photos)

I'm leaning towards the 13" 2.53GHz because i love the smaller, more portable device. I also plan on purchasing a LED cinema display so i don't mind how small the macbook is as i'd have the display to compensate. I plan on using this setup to replace my current PC so it will be my only computer. Are the specs for the 2.53GHz enough for my needs and to be used as a main computer?

Does anyone recommend one of the 15" models instead?

2. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

According to your descriptions, I think the 13" 2.53GHz should be sufficient for you. Since you plan on getting the LED cinema display, the small-ish 13" screen size shouldn't be a problem. Everything else should be just fine for you; great price point as well!

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2.26GHz MBP will be enough, just buy 4GB RAM from 3rd party. Your usage is light, so you don't need more power.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The 13-inch MPB with the 2.26GHz would also more than suffice your needs.
    Especially when you have an external Display.
    Just be sure to max out the RAM, as it might come in handy with many open applications.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

8GB of DDR3 is over 700$. I doubt OP has 700$ lying around... 4GB is more than enough for him :p

6. kyprea thread starter macrumors newbie

kyprea

Thanks, so i take it there isn't much difference between 2.26GHz and 2.53Ghz?
    I also forgot to mention that i'm a average gamer, so i'd want to purchase Sims 3, Spore etc. How well would either of the 13" handle the games?

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yeah, I forgot, that those new model max out at 8GB and not 4GB, which my white MB does. But I would like to have that money and max out my new MBP with 8GB.

Isn't Spore a little bit demanding, especially with integrated graphics?

Answering myself: It seems to like the GMA X3100, so the 9400M will be more than okay for that.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS157LL/A

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No. 2.53 has just 270MHz faster CPU (unnoticeable), 2GB more RAM (buy it from 3rd party) and more HD space.

It runs those games OK but don't expect high graphics and frame rates. You would have to go for 2.66GHz 15" MBP to get better GPU and that costs more

9. kyprea thread starter macrumors newbie

kyprea

so to sum up, i could get the 2.26 and max it out or just get the 2.53 and it would handle my needs? bear in mind i usually have about 6+ applications running at the same time(itunes, safari, messenger, limewire, photoshop etc.)

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2.26 is 1199$ and 2.53 is 1499$. You can get 4GB RAM for 50$ and save 250$. 2.26 with 2GB is already fast, but more RAM will make it even faster. 2.53 is just wasting money, it does everything as fast as 2.26 does

11. opera57 macrumors 6502

Either of the 13" models should be fine for your needs, as you don't need the faster graphics chip for what you will be doing. Personally I would edge for the lower end model and upgrade the ram myself. I can't see there being a huge speed difference between the two. [​IMG]