Which MacBook Pro (New 2010 version) model 15" should i buy? Puzzled about Hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chains, May 18, 2010.

1. Chains macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am going to purchase a MBP(The new unibody one), but i dont quite know which one to buy.
    I am sure that i want a 15'', but im not sure which i5 processor to get.
    The thing is that there is a 2.4GHz version and a 2.53GHz Version. The only difference i am worried about is the hard drive and its rotational speed. Also, i want one that will last me quite long.
    The 2.4GHz version has 320GB HDD @ 5400rpm, but if you want to upgrade to 500GB @ 7200rpm, it costs 1050. But on the other hand, the 2.53 GHz one, if you want to upgrade from its default 500GB@5400rpm to 500GB @ 7200rpm, its only 350. Which do you think i should buy.

I will be using it mainly for general purposes as well as using a few of the adobe softwares such as Photoshop, Aftereffects, Flash and maybe a few more. I rarely play games. Also use in school for IT. Can you please advise me what to buy, and if possible propose me some specs? NOTE: I GET STUDENT DISCOUNT SO STARTING PRICES OF 2.4GHZ VERSION IS 12988, AND 2.53 VERSION IS 14088

Also, or can i simply buy the 2.4 ghz version and buy a 320GB@7200 rpm from outside and install it myself.

Some more questions...
    Is the difference of 0.13GHz negligible?
    Is there a recognizable difference in harddrive speeds of 5400rpm and 7200rpm? (i do not wish to purchase a SSD)

Also is there going to be another 'Back-to-School' promotional offer this year. If so when do you think it will be? I want to get it in June

Thanks a lot
    MC

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Get the 2.4GHz and upgrade the HD later on if needed. By that way, you can use the old HD as external

2. The difference between 2.4 and 2.53 is ~5% i.e. unnoticeable

3. BTS will likely kick off very soon, at any time now

3. Jonathon McMast macrumors member

dont bother upgrading the HD. get an SSD in a little while. They are set to fall in price massively driven by NAND price falls and a move from single-level cell (SLC) to multi-level cell (MLC) flash, driven by a maturing of SSD controller technology.

4. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

i got a 2.4 i5, have a decent Nas so size didnt really matter to me. Might upgrade to SSD, in the future but evrtything is just fine at the mo.

5. Jonathon McMast macrumors member

This is a completely irrelevant post and is of no use to the OP.

Cheers,
    JM

6. oyebto macrumors regular

fully agree with the website. but if i were to run OSX, what other choice do i have other than hackintosh? :)