Which Macbook Pro of these two? Thanks!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mccahillj, May 18, 2010.

1. mccahillj macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm torn between two computers and would love some other tech savy person's opinion. Looking to stay around the 2200 mark and have these two configs, the main difference is the i5 vs i7.

# 2.53GHz Intel Core i5
    # 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X2GB
    # 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    # SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    # MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Resolution Antiglare Widescreen Display
    # None
    # Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

# 2.66GHz Intel Core i7
    # 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    # 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    # SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    # MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display
    # None
    # Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    # Apple Remote

does the processor make that much of a difference? Are the upgrades I have efficient? Thanks for the help!

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Ones a 15" and the other a 17". If you have to have an express card slot, has to be the 17".

Regarding the processors, I thought there was a link to a comparison showing i5 vs. i7 showing no real difference in many tasks. Also the 256 vs. 512 of graphics card memory hasn't been shown to be a big difference in gaming, if I recall.

After my searching, I am going for the 2.4 15". The difference between 2.4 and 2.53 isn't going to be noticeable I believe. I would just save the $$ and get the 2.4 and order whatever display you wanted, ie glossy or matte, reg or high res.

Basically they all seem to be a big amount of cash for a small increase in processing. If you absolutely need the speed, then go for it. Or if you don't mind spending the extra money.

Also the hard disk can be upgraded for less on your own, plus you retain the other one for backups.