which macbook pro screen is the best for photo editing.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shingi70, Dec 27, 2010.

1. shingi70 macrumors regular

Which is better matte or glossy for photo editing. i'll mainly be doing light apenture and photoshop.

2. AmethystZhou macrumors newbie

Surely the anti-glare screen. The glossy ones have vivid colors, but are not "accurate". The worst thing is the dazzle, especially when used outside. The anti-glare ones are better I think.

3. dtblaze macrumors regular

4. Kyffin macrumors 6502

I think these best bet for this sort of application is to go for an good external monitor- larger and much easier to calibrate the colours (you've also got a far greater choice of display type and finish too- as well as not having to lug about a monster with you everywhere that you've spent more than you need because of an element that you could outsource.) Maybe something to bear in mind but it then brings the headache of what monitor to get:D

5. toxic macrumors 68000

I think matte is better for editing and glossy is better for viewing...if you edit for print. if you rarely/never print, I think it becomes a matter of preference.

6. shingi70 thread starter macrumors regular

I thought about the 17 inch but i found it too wide. The 15 inch i7 seems to have the power of the 17 inch with a decent amount of portable.

7. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Well clearly the 15" high-res anti-glare is the way forward.

Although in all honesty, a 24" or bigger 1920x1200 IPS/PVA screen calibrated is actually the way forward here [doesn't matter which laptop then] if it really really matters to you about accuracy...

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yeah really...when I went to the apple store to get something for my MacBook today I saw the 17inch and it didn't even feel like a laptop...the thing was just a monster I don't even know why anyone would want to carry that thing around just too much, even the 15inch was a bit much for me. But if your doing photo editing I would say 15 or 17 is nice although tiny screens don't bother me...I'll just jump on one of my schools Mac Pro's if I need to do serious work and suck it up using a macbook pro in between...not that I do any serious photo editing though. 13inch MacBook pro is good enough for me though I would opt for the high end 13inch (processor wise).

9. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

this is my 1st 17" and I love it never going back to smaller size

10. hmottestad macrumors newbie

Really bad

They are all really bad. Course they are much better than many other screens, but they are still TN screens and terrible compared to a PVA or IPS screen.

Unfortunately you won't get an IPS screen in a laptop anymore, even though both the iPhone and the iPad have them.

I would recommend going with either the 15" or 17" depending on which one you prefer, and going for an external screen where you can actually do some proofing. Gloss or no-gloss is a preference, although keep in mind that most pro screens come with a hood to keep the glare out (no, I'm not kidding) so I reckon a no-gloss screen is better.

Cheers.

11. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

If you don`t plan on using an external monitor I would say HR/AG would be the way to go.
    I love the look of the glossy glass screen but I don`t have your requirements.
    I have a matt external display for "serious" stuff.