Which macbook pro should i buy??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nowayout1, Aug 21, 2011.

1. nowayout1 macrumors newbie

im switching to a macbook pro from my hp dm3 1030, but don't know which i want to get 13" i7 2.7ghz or 15" i7 2.0ghz

which should i go for?

i'll be using it as a general laptop, surfing web, facebook, and sorting out photos and fixing them on aperature 3/iphoto, and if its any use on a mac adobe lightroom 3.

2. h00ligan macrumors 68030

15", you will appreciate the higher res and quad core. The i7 13" really doesn't compute on a cost analysis.

3. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I don't think anybody can answer this question for you. You just have to try them out at the Apple store.

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I'm pretty sure we can answer that for you.

Get the baseline 13 inch. Spending money for the processor upgrade is a complete waste.

For your uses, the 15 inch is overkill.

Upgrade the ram from another site for cheap.

Go to a store and get a feel for the 13/15 but you don't need more than the baseline. I edit pictures in Aperture all of the time and it's as smooth as silk on my 13 inch.

5. windowstomac macrumors regular

I'm inclined to agree with Young Spade. I do far more demanding stuff, including constantly running Windows 7 in a virtual machine and have no complaints whatsoever with my 13" i5 with 8gb.

6. h00ligan macrumors 68030

To me the low Rez is the killer of the 13". Speed of the base is ok.

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Are you just saying that or have you compared the screen side by side with the MBA? And, just for the record, MacBook Pro screen is a better color gamut than the MacBook air. The f

8. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I've experienced both.

Yes, the color is better than the air. 1280 is useless and given the marginal weight savings not a sacrifice I would make. I personally think the 13" needs a serious rethink. It's stuck in no man's land.

9. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Maybe I just have bad eyes but I think the resolution is fine. I hadn't even thought some people had a problem with it till you brought it up.

10. tombq macrumors newbie

since I have not found a company esteemed for it's antiglare on 13" pro

I must get the weighty 15" instead of he best 13" for running 3 operating systems on Bootcamp if i can to learn one in addition to having the windows7 and OSX (non-Lion)

QUESTION: Do your i7s run hot? i5s too?! (optimally running & hibernating while on the go 50 browser tabs/windows + office + all of Adobe CS5 Suite + Bootcamp of course and much more as i re-discover Mac

The Apple store person said don't get a 17" but if i am going matte anyway with a weighty 15" why not go for the 17" one with full 1900x1200 res. and the larger one is nice and weight-distributed !

Anyway who knows -- the backpack is ready for anti-reflective 13" with any antiglare company/product you all can recommend or i will dive immediately into the 17" or 15" internal debate and take the plunge by the end of the week.

thx for reading and for any inputs
    - Tom

11. h00ligan macrumors 68030

It's too low for my taste. Nowhere near enough screen real estate. Should be 1440.