Which MacBook Pro should I buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Beatbeckham, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Beatbeckham macrumors regular

Hi guys.

I'm a student and I'm going to buy my first mac ever. I'm gonna use it for college; writing, watching movies, listening to music, surfing, music production, (may be gaming.) And, I like to have a lot of HD space, at least 500 GB.

I just ordered a MacBook Pro 15": 2,6 GHz (2011) without Retina on Apple Store, and will recive it tomorrow:

Specs:

2,6 GHz - Intel Core i7
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM – 2 x 4 GB
    750 GB Serial ATA-harddisk 5400 o/min
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    15-inch MacBook Pro Blank widescreen

Should I go for the Retina, if I have the money.. LOL already took loan to buy this one.. Is it worth the upgrade for my use? Please help me guys... :confused:

2. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

It doesn't sound like you *need* the rMMP. Sure, we all want one! The machine you ordered should handle your listed needs nicely. It would be a big price jump to get the rMBP with 500gb (you can't upgrade the base model) so you're looking at $2800 (plus tax?).

3. MrAnthonySutton macrumors newbie

Dude, those specs are fine for what you need. I wouldn't get the Retina. Honestly, if you want the retina for the SSD, upgrade 3rd party. It's so much cheaper. You don't NEED it.

4. X Cruz 187 macrumors member

I think I heard that the rMBP's processors aren't powerful enough to push the retina display? I'd go for the base model!

5. Woogaloo macrumors newbie

I've been in the same position, except for the school part.

First, did you to the Apple Back to School thing (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/ca...s-naus-sea-bts-june2012-education-indexhero)? It gives you $100 towards apps which is nice. And here's another link for a better price on Macs for college peeps and such: http://store.apple.com/us-hed/findyourschool. (looks like it would start the price at $1999)

I ended up with the 15" model, but I've got the one before yours (2.3 i7/512MB video). I am tempted to get the better one just for the bigger video card and hard drive (instead of having to buy a bigger hdd outright)...

Other than that I don't see the retina be worth it. If you decide you "need" it (as I may do) just upgrade it third-party rather than now. Just my $0.02.