Which macbook pro should i buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lars2232, Nov 5, 2013.

1. lars2232 macrumors newbie

Hey

The last many years i had a windows computer and I have never tried a mac computer before. Anyway, I have now decided to go buy a mac laptop. I am sure that i will buy a macbook pro but i don't know which of them.

My budget is about the $1600.
    I mostly use the laptop for school use, but I also play computer games. I play games like MW3.

Another fact is that the new macbook pro retina doesn't have dvd/cd drive, so if I end up buying the retina I should also buy a dvd/cd drive.

Can any clever user in here help me? :)

NB: sorry for my bad english

2. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

based on your usage i would go for the bottom retina model with 8GB RAM and however much storage you need and then just get a console for gaming :)

otherwise you will be spending another $600+ on specs that will only benefit your gaming when you could just get a console with the money

3. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

If I were you with your budget, I would get:
    13" Retina
    2.4GHz i5
    8GB of RAM
    256GB Hard Drive

These of of Amazon
    USB external hard drive, for extra space, you will want it
    Apple Superdrive

4. durkkin macrumors regular

This. The mid standard configuration rMBP will suit you just fine. I wouldn't bother with the DVD drive. It's most likely going to be a waste of $80. If you absolutely *HAVE* to have an external drive, you can find ones online for cheaper than Apple's.

5. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

Thats why I said Superdrive, he made it seem necessary :) Superdrives can be found cheap on amazon, $30 with a case.

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I'd try to find an ivy bridge 15" rmbp or cmbp with 650M. They could be had for around your budget, and it will be a lot better for gaming than the 13".

7. sonyisawesome macrumors regular

Anything is better than the current base haswell models for gaming and 3D modeling.

8. vistadude macrumors 65816

I'd get an air or low specced pro and save the rest for a gaming desktop or xbox one.