Which MacBook Pro should I buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by guitarman282, Jun 5, 2007.

1. guitarman282 macrumors newbie

I just saw the new MacBook Pros today. I am debating between the 15" 2.2GHz and the 15" 2.4GHz. There is a $500 difference in price. Does 0.2GHz really make that much difference? Also, when will Apple begin having these refurbished?

Thanks!

2. dimme macrumors 65816

For $500 you get a faster processor bigger hard drive and twice the graphic memory. Not as good a deal as before when the base model was only 1 gb of memory but the extra graphic memory is nice.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

The .2 Ghz won't be noticable most likely...The reason most people get the 2.4 is because of double the VRAM as previously stated. If you want help deciding, you need to tell us what you will be using the comp for.

4. guitarman282 thread starter macrumors newbie

Movies, a little work, nothing really that hard. I'm really an impatient person which is why I was curious about the processor speed.

5. Anorak macrumors regular

Anorak

The baseline MacBook Pro should be fine for you. The extra 0.2GHz won't give you a major boost in speed.

6. jawzzy macrumors regular

I actually had this same question. As a soon to be poor college student, I'm having trouble justifying the 500 dollars.

Does the extra 128MB of VRAM really make a noticeable difference in games like Oblivion?

I am telling myself that I don't need the high end 15" model, but a little voice keeps telling me that down the road, I will be better off with the 2.4 Ghz model.

Any insights into gaming performance and longevity?

7. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I agree wth the overs. Get the Baseline. It's plenty fast enough for what you want to do. But then, its your money and if you want the 'better' model... buy it

8. dimme macrumors 65816

That little voice may be right, if you plan to run games or vista.

9. Bob Jovi macrumors regular

10. coop80 macrumors newbie

Can anyone give me some advise?

I have made the decision to go mac but I can't decide whether to have a top end macbook with 2gb ram or have a new macbook pro.

I will be using the mac mainly for music production with the likes of Ableton Live, garageband and logic pro.

Is the macbook pro a bit over kill for what I'd be using it for or would there be a big difference in performance.

Any advise would be gratefully appreciated.

11. dimme macrumors 65816

No same rez as the last batch

12. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

Tough question.

There would probably be a small difference in performance, but nothing major. I don't think you'll get much use out of the graphics card, but the higher screen resolution might be helpful.

If you've got an external display, you should probably go with a Macbook.

13. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

If resale value is important to you, get the top end 15".

14. wako macrumors 65816

resale value wont give you back that $500 dollars though in 2 years....

You might just get $100 dollars more then what would have been offered.

The macbook pro is perfect unless you think you will be maxing out the processor that much that you need the small bump in speed. Graphics won't be an issue on the macbook because you are only using garageband, and other recording apps. but if you customize the macbook at all..don't go for the 200gb hdd cause 4200rpm is too slow for recording.

16. ViM macrumors regular

I think as others have stated that the baseline is the best option for you it doesn't seem as though you need the extra 0.2 ghz which is hardly noticeable and the only thing that is debateable is the 128 or 256 VRAM which in my personal experience would only net you around 5 more fps in games.

17. scrambledwonder macrumors 6502

Get the best one! It's worth it! It's very powerful and the extra video memory will allow you to do more with the machine in the long run. It also has that extra bit of hard drive space, which is ALWAYS good to have, even if you have external drives hanging around.

18. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

$500 for 128MB VRAM 40GB HD and 0.2GHz? You have got to be kidding me. If you have too much money do it but the price difference is not really worth it. Just get the base version and maybe increase the HD but the VRAM and the 0.2GHz don't make that much of a difference.

19. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Only the 17" MacBook Pro has the option of a 1900x1200 HD Screen.