which macbook pro should I buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by duykur, May 3, 2008.

1. duykur macrumors regular

Hello everybody,

I have kind of a delema here, i am getting a macbook pro today or tmrw so post quickly.

I am wonering which model to get, the 2.4 or 2.5, both are 15.5 (and i am not getting a refurb)

I will be using it for school work (word, powerpoint etc), light progrmming (c++, c) and moderate gaming (note this computer should be able to play assasins creed without deing)

pls help!

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Anyways, IMO it sounds like you don't even need a MBP so go with the lower end model.

3. duykur thread starter macrumors regular

My computer (the one in my signature) died, It won't boot. So I need a new computer.

4. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

In terms of which Macbook Pro he should get I would definitely just go with the 2.4Ghz model. The 2.5Ghz MBP offers very little of an upgrade and it's not worth another $500. Save your money.

5. fredrickyoon macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

Depending on what your needs are, the 2.4 would suffice in my opinion, to save a buck here and there. You can go all out with the top model, but that's if you're going to be doing serious work on the machine.

For school, and basic stuff, the base model should be just fine.

6. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

The question of choosing between the two models has pretty much been a moot point since the last update. Both models are very snappy and both have their graphics maxed (the 512 RAM won't do much of a difference).

My advice: save some bucks and go with the entry level.

7. JoshLV macrumors regular

8. Skull21 macrumors regular

9. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I say grab the 2.4 since you aren't in need of that much power. If you have the cash though, grab the middle model, nothing is wrong with getting twice the GFX memory, and a slightly faster processor.

10. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

any of the macbook pros .... so get the cheapest and max out the RAM with the saving

11. asmallchild macrumors regular

i got the base version

it has been working just fine

go for that

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Assasins Creed works on MBP.
    Assasins Creed does NOT work on MB or Mini

Both model should work fine. It depends on your budget, of course the faster one has more video memory and is worth it for some people.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

I think you can find benchmarks on barefeats.com

13. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

There isn't an application out there right now that the 2.5Ghz model MBP can run and the 2.4Ghz can't with almost the same performance. A 100Mhz speed bump and 3MB more L2 cache doesn't make that huge of a difference. It's a few percent here and there. The 8600M GT 512MB is also limited by a 128-bit memory bus so it cannot use that much memory. The only area that 512MB vram could really improve performance is when driving an external display when running somethings 3D graphics intensive due to the fact when you connect an external monitor the graphics memory is split in half between the laptop display and the external display effectively giving you 128MB+128MB on the base model MBP and 256MB+256MB on the more expensive model.