Which macbook pro should I buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andylo, Jun 23, 2009.

1. andylo macrumors newbie

Hello I'm having a trouble deciding if I should buy the REFURBISHED previous generation 15 inch mac book pro (october 2008) or the latest 13 inch mac book pro. In NZ, they're similar in price, I want to know what you people would choose. Please help!

2. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I'd go for the Refurb because it has a larger screen and a much better graphics card. The 13" can take double the ram, but I doubt you'll need it.

3. andylo thread starter macrumors newbie

but doesn't 13inch macbook pro have a better quality screen? thats an important factor for me

4. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I've never heard that. In fact, I've heard the opposite. Remember, the 13" MBPs are just rebadged MBs. I can't recall if they upgraded the screen, but I know for a fact that when they aluminum Macbooks the MBP had a better screen.

Checking different sources, it seems it's the same screen, which means the 15" is better.

5. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

Im getting the refurb uMBP hopefully tomorrow. You get wayy more bang for your buck. Go for it.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What are the specs of each? What do you use your machine for? You have told us virtually nothing that can clue us in as to how to answer your question.

7. andylo thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to university next year (computer science) and I play occasional games like Warcraft 3 and also going to play Starcraft 2 once it comes out. The 15 inch refurb Mac book pro have 2.4 Ghz processor, with dedicated video card while the 13inch mac book pro I'm buying will be the higher end one (2.53 ghz). Actually the 15 inch refurb mac book pro is slightly cheaper, so do you think I should go for the refurb? However I heard that new 15 inch macbook pro have better screen than the previous one, does that mean that 13 inch macbook pro also have better screen than the refurb I might buy?

8. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Didn't I already answer every one of these questions for you?

Get the refurb. It's better. The 13" is not high end. It doesn't have a dedicated graphics card which means playing games will suck. The 15" also has a better screen.

The refurb has everything you want.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Get the refurb; it has better specs and a far better screen.

Cheers and good luck

10. brguitarist macrumors member

As a Comp. Eng. graduate I'd go for the new 13". The new 13" will max out at 8GB which is nice (before I'm attacked for saying that, yes 8GB IS completely unnecessary right now, but wait 4 years).

I would do gaming on it with an external monitor. If you're extremely unhappy with the graphics, later on, I'd just build a gaming machine, as a CS major it'd be good for you :) Just my 2c

11. andylo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. Just one more question, when Snow Leopard is released, will the refurb also have SL installed?

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

They'll either have it installed, or have an install disc in the box.