Which Macbook Pro should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacFanUK, Aug 21, 2009.

1. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Ok, I know there have already been threads discussing this but I need some advice, so I am sorry for bringing it up again :)

I am going back to uni next month (for my 3rd year) and as I now live further away from uni, I think I will need a laptop so I can go in the library and get work done, etc. So, I have narrowed it down to wanting a Mac (instead of a Sony or the like). But, I don't know which one to get.

The main reason for wanting a Mac is the operating system, closely followed by wanting a 24" ACD. I will be using the laptop for word processing, video editing (mostly 2-4min adverts for church), web development, etc.

Which of these would you go for (prices are rough HE estimates based on 14% discount)?

1) 2.26GHz 13" Macbook Pro @ £770 (£824 once upgraded Ram to 4GB)
    2GB DDR3, 160GB HDD - Geekbench Score: 3140

2) 2.53GHz 13" Macbook Pro @ £998
    4GB DDR3, 250GB HDD - Geekbench Score: 3436

3) 2.53GHz 15" Macbook Pro @ £1110
    4GB DDR3, 250GB HDD - Geekbench Score: 3437

I have decided against the 2.66GHz because as much as I would like a dedicated GPU, I just cannot justify the extra cost.

I would upgrade the hard drive on all options so can't really take that into account.

I'm not really sure if the price is mega important, however, which will give me the best performance for the money?

I have looked at Geekbench scores but they are pretty hard to compare, seeing as the 2.26GHz MBP is tested with 2GB Ram vs 4GB in the other 2, however, the difference between the 13" and 15" 2.53GHz is none existant, so is the larger screen worth an extra £100?

If I was going for the higher end 13", I probably would consider the 15" but what I really want to know is will I notice much difference between the 2.26GHz and 2.53GHz?

2. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I like the idea of the 13 inch 2.53 model, same power as the bigger one but smaller and lighter. See what others say as they may advise for the screen real estate for video editing but if your getting a 24 inch cinema display anyway then the 13 inch might be fine.

3. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Thanks. Just to add something I forgot to mention, any video editing I do would be done at my desk with the 24" ACD (that's the plan anyway :)) but stuff like image editing for web development will be done on the move.

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

If you are planning on buying the ACD, I would go for a 13". Better portability around campus and such, and when you are at home you still have a nice big screen to work with.

That leaves you with option 1 or 2. If you are tight on money, get option 1 and upgrade the ram and HDD yourself, which will save you money.

If you don't really care how much you spend, get the high end 13". Then you will get the slightly better processor, and you will also have the upgraded ram.

Just my .02

5. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Thanks for the comments so far.

Money's not really an issue to be honest, but if I was going to get the high end 13", I would probably consider the bigger screen for an extra £100 - not sure though. More thoughts would be good :)

6. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

The bigger screen is a definite plus, and the 15" is very portable. I've had no problems with it, and you might miss out on the extra 2 inches. What I have heard said around the forum is "Get the best you can (want) with your money." I think that's very true. I hope I've helped you a bit, and good luck on your purchase!:)

7. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Thanks. I am in fact reconsidering buying a 24"ACD and getting a cheaper screen instead (because of issues the ACD seems to have with backlight bleeding) so may use the extra cash to go for a 15" model. Still not sure though.

8. CompanionCube macrumors regular

CompanionCube

Backlighting issues!???! It's an LED backlight, it's beautiful and perfect.

9. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

10. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE: Which MacBook Pro should I buy?

RE:
    "I have decided against the 2.66GHz because as much as I would like a dedicated GPU, I just cannot justify the extra cost."

My suggestion:
    Get the 2.26ghz MacBook Pro (base version).

DON'T pay Apple for "build to order" hard drive and memory upgrades. They gouge you.
    You can add RAM and change the hard drive later if you need to. It's easy to do and you'll save a considerable amount of money.

DON'T waste your money on the 24" Apple display. It's more "buck" than "bang" (not sure how to translate that into "pounds").

Instead, get a Dell - it will work fine and look as good as the Apple display.

If you could be satisfied with a 22", wait until the Dell 2209wa is back in stock and shipping again - it's the finest 22" display out there (which is why you can't buy it right now, it was such a runaway seller they sold out with folks still clamoring for orders). And it's only about $210 (US$).

If you want a 24", get the Dell 2408wfp, which is often on sale for amazing good prices. It's a great display.

The HP LP2475W is also a good choice.

For school - where one must "tote around" a laptop, use it in class, etc. - I would think the compact size of the 13" would make up for the smaller "screen real estate" - ESPECIALLY if you have a nice external monitor to plug in back in your room. The best of both worlds.

- John

11. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Thanks John. Yeah, I get what you're saying, however, in the UK, the 24" ACD is £528 with Higher Education discount whereas the Dell 2408WFP is £550, so the ACD is actually cheaper than the Dell. The only problem is the lack of inputs on the ACD.

I don't think I could go with 22" (I know it's not much difference but I really like the size of my 23" and it's more about the resolution than actual size).