Which Macbook pro should i get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AndersVorup, May 2, 2012.

  1. AndersVorup macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 2, 2012
    #1
    Hi all.
    At the moment i found a buyer for my old Macbook, and i really want to sell it and get a new one. The only problem is that I'm not sure if it's the right thing to wait for the new Macbook to be released.

    I heard some rumors about the new Macbook being thinner, and I would like to know if that's going to make the battery time smaller?
    Also if the new Ivy Bridge is so much better than the old one, that I would need it?

    I should use the Macbook Pro for my studies so battery life and size is important. I would like to have a Macbook that also will be capable to run games like Diablo III.

    I'm currently looking at the Macbook Pro 13" 2.8 GHz i7 core, 8 gb ram.
    Should I wait for the new one to arrive, and does anyone know if it should arrive before starting at the studies ind September?
    Please help me
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    So if you have an i7, that means you have a sandy bridge based MBP. Well you're not going to see any difference if you buy now since apple has not updated the MBP line.

    I do recommend waiting for apple to release Ivy Bridge based laptops.
     
  3. AndersVorup thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 2, 2012
    #3
    Im not using the Macbook i7 right now, but that's the one i wanted to buy if i had to choose one now, rather than waiting for the new one with Ivy Bridge.
     
  4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #4
    If you wait for the new ones to come out, ideally within 60 days, then the current models might be a bargain if purchased from Apple's Refurb store. I know my 2010 15" dropped in price significantly when the 2011's came out. Many models in the refurb store would be returned models that there put through testing... Of course many people do this so it is first come first serve.
     
  5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

    NutsNGum

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Location:
    Glasgow, Scotland
    #5
    +1

    OP, if you want something current that's capable of gaming, I'd strongly recommend either a recent 15" refurb or waiting until the Ivy Bridge 13" models are released to see what happens with those in terms of their graphics capabilities.

    The current model 13" GPU isn't all that great.

    If it was me, I would probably wait, the updates aren't likely to be too far down the line.
     
  6. bottleneck macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2012
    #6
    Wait few weeks and buy a new product to a fair price.
     
  7. macrominnie macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    #7
    +1
    If you can wait, specs of new models will be clear and refurb prices will drop. While Apple always keeps users guessing, their marketing saavy goes on. It would be surprising if new models weren't release by the autumn term.

    If battery life is more important than size, my guess is that the 2012 MBP 15" will have better battery life. With SSD's & LED screens, 13" & 15" power demands may be pretty close with more battery size in the 15".
     

Share This Page