Which MacBook Pro should I get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Windows&Apple, Nov 3, 2013.

?

Spec out my machine

Poll closed Nov 28, 2013.
  1. 15 Inch

65.0%
  2. 13 Inch

35.0%
  3. Dual Core (Please comment below which one)

20.0%
  4. Quad Core (Please comment below which one)

60.0%
  5. 8GB RAM

30.0%
  6. 16GB RAM

70.0%
  7. 512GB SSD

50.0%
  8. 256GB SSD

45.0%
  1. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

I fell asleep last night determined to get the 15 inch high-end MBP, but I woke up knowing it's not a smart move. $2600 (with applecare) for something I won't need.

I reevaluated my needs and this is what I came up with:

School work:
    • Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Office
    Accounting:
    • Windows 7 with Sage 50
    Personal:
    • 3Ds Max and Maya (nothing major, I just wanna learn the software and get used to it.)
    • Light photo editing, MS Paint works well for me at this stage, but iPhoto seems to do the trick. If there is an App or program with both, maybe not as hardcore as photoshop, that would be fantastic.
    • Light-medium video editing; 1080p files, but nothing too long.
    • Medium gaming. I'm not going to play Crysis on this thing, but it better be able to play something modern at a decent framerate with medium if not high settings.

I would like:

• 512GB PCI-e SSD
    • 8GB RAM should be enough, I would think.

I have a semi-decent PC that I can do the hardcore stuff on, but if you could, please fill out the poll and spec out a good machine for me :)

And I will probably be updating my semi-decent PC to a custom built gaming rig in 2014-2015 (Most likely with Skylake); if that helps.

2. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Base model 13" for your uses should be more than fine.

3. troop231 macrumors 603

15" 2.6GHz with 16GB RAM. MS Paint eats all the RAM you can throw at it ;)

4. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

This thread looks familiar... :)

The 2.6 is comparatively a cheap upgrade compared to the SSD and RAM. Either way, the 15'' real estate is definitely nice to have compared to 13'' especially with 3D modeling, even if you had to get a 2.0GHz machine.

5. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

It is lol, I was set on the 2.3Ghz, but since my parents are paying for it, a gift. I don't wanna make them drop 3k on a laptop. I want something that will suit me at the least amount.

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Macbook Pro is overkill for your needs. I would suggest you to look at cheap Dell XPS ultraportable laptop. :apple:

7. Starfyre, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

If your set on the 2.3Ghz, and your parents can pay for it as a gift, let them get it. You won't be dropping 3k on a laptop unless you get a 1TB SSD (processor upgrades are relatively cheap).

Though what you should do is if you have money, or when you make money, get them a nice gift or if you gift them cash so they know you are responsible. :)

8. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

Man, I would, but I've used a Windows PC forever. I wanna get a taste of Apple.

9. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Its gonna be the most expensive Apple you've tasted.:D

10. Doward macrumors 6502a

For your use, the base model is fine.

If your parents will spring for it, the maxed out model is very nice.

11. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

They will spring for it and they won't mind. But I will... I hate having them for for things but they insisted.

----------

They will spring for it and they won't mind. But I will... I hate having them for for things but they insisted.

12. isephmusic macrumors 6502

get refurb 15inch retina. its like 1700 and has everything ill ever need

13. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

Well, if I'm going to invest $1,700 in 1 year old tech, I might as well go for the base 15 inch. In which case the 2.3Ghz high end 15 inch is a better deal. Honestly, I still believe the 2.3 15 inch is the best value despite it being the most expensive.

14. isephmusic macrumors 6502

15. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

I know, but than I think my parents are springing for it and in like, I'm a nice guy, I don't do drugs, I don't party a lot and I think I was well behaved through my teen years.

16. isephmusic macrumors 6502

yeah i mean if you deserve it then get it you don't need our opinions you obviously want the best model nobody is gonna stop you. I'm just saying. 2.6k can buy you a first class flight to europe at a nice hotel for a weekend lol. if you got the base model haswell even 1899 thats 600 $ to spend on an iPad, xbox one / ps4, an awesome weekend at a nice hotel ect. think about it

17. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

PS4 is already set. And I don't think the $600 would be spent on a European hotel. Unused funds will be forgotten.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't know what airline you fly or kind of hotel you consider to be nice, but $2600 at most pays for J, and perhaps an okay hotel. :(