Which Macbook Pro should I get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StrangeMagic66, Jul 18, 2014.

1. StrangeMagic66, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014

StrangeMagic66 macrumors newbie

I have an outdated MBP (2009) and want to get a newer one. I use it mostly for work --- web/editing images but expect to occasionally need to edit videos as related to my job.

I am looking at refurbished and it's between:

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.0GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display for $1659. This one has Iris graphics

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-20ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

or

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display. No Iris Pro. $60 cheaper.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-23ghz-Quad-core-Intel-i7-with-retina-Display

So, I guess my question is do I need Iris Pro for my purposes? I don't know much about computers but it looks like the processor on the one with Iris Pro Graphics is slower. Is that right?

Thanks.

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

The 2.0GHz i7 is actually a little faster than the 2.3GHz i7. Conversely, the iris pro is actually slower than the GT650m.

Personally, I'd go with the 2.0GHz model: it's got a newer CPU and has better battery life, but the GPU isn't as powerful.

3. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Agreed....

4. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

I would also get the 2.0.

Note in many respects the Iris Pro is faster than the 650m GT. And the 2.0 uses PCI-e storage, which is significantly faster. Finally, battery life on the 2.0 is noticeably better. It's newer technology.

If the 2.3 were $1499, i'd go that way. But it isn't, and for $60 more you get a current machine.

5. StrangeMagic66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, guys! You all sold me on the 2.0. Can't wait!

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's a better machine, Intel really improved the GPU, and I think you're better off with the Iris Pro.

Good luck :)