Which macbook(pro) should I get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GreenStripe, Feb 16, 2009.

1. GreenStripe macrumors member

Hi,

After looking at them for a while, I've finally decided that right now is a good time to buy my first ever mac! The thing is, I haven't decided between the most expensive macbook and the base macbook pro.

The main use of the computer is going to be the standard itunes/aim/firefox kind of stuff, but I also do quite a bit of photoshopping and I think I may do some occasional video editing once i have imovie. I used to do some gaming (mostly team fortress 2) and once Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 come out, I'd definitely like to be able to play them.

I like to bring my laptop with me everywhere, and the one I use right now is a 15.4" thinkpad that is very thick and I have no problem bringing it around. I would like to have a big screen with a high resolution, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Hmm, well, I don't have a TV so my laptop often functions as one, so if there is any difference between screen qualities, I guess that would make a difference.

So, would you get a macbook or a macbookpro?

Thanks a ton!

2. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

If you're fine with carrying around a 15", I would get the MBP based on your wants. It's going to have the better graphics card for photo/movie editing and gaming, the bigger screen, a much nicer screen (posters on here seem to think the MB screen isn't as great as it could be, but say the MBP's screen is a step up). I was in the same position as you, and I decided that due to the thin design of the MBP will make up for the weight/size, and it's totally worth the extra screen.

3. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

MacBook Pro... I would never trade my old MBP in for a new 13-in MB. The screen size is definitely a plus.