Which Macbook Pro to buy - clearance or used?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hessdesigns, Jan 5, 2009.

1. hessdesigns macrumors member

Hey everybody, I need a bit of advice before I pull the trigger. Just wondering, basically, how much performance do you get by upgrading to the 7200rpm drive, OR going to the 512mb video card? And is the glossy screen bad? I should add I do motion graphic design, print design, some photography. Here's what I'm looking at... Thanks for your help!

I can get this USED:
    $1500
    2.4 gHz processor
    250 GB 7200rpm HD
    2gb ram
    base 256mb video card
    Matte Screen (I like this)
    1-year warranty until June '09

I can get these NEW (on clearance; it's the old model):
    $1349 + tax = $1461
    2.4gHz
    200GB 5400rpm HD
    2gb ram
    base 256mb vid card
    Glossy screen
    1-year warranty from time of purchase

or

$1479.99 + tax = $1602
    2.4gHz
    200GB 5400rpm HD
    2gb ram
    base 256mb vid card
    Matte screen
    1-year warranty from time of purchase

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

To be honest the used MacBook Pro is not that great of a deal. As for the glossy screen, you can always get an anti-glare screen protector to get it to have more of a matte look than the glossy. And the hard drive in the older MacBook Pros is really not that hard to replace if you want to buy a 7200RPM hard drive, it does not require a deep knowledge of computers to replace it. I'd go for the second option you have listed.

3. MacJenn macrumors regular

Aren't you the guy who said the used $1500 one has a bulge in it? If so why buy a $1500 laptop with damage. Apple can terminate the warranty if they want. If someone is trying to sell you that for $1500 then they are trying to rip you off to buy a new one without damage.

Edit: it was you who has a thread about this in the Pro forum. Everyone told you it is a rip off. I guess you want someone to tell you to buy it so you feel better when you go buy it. It is obvious you want to buy a damaged laptop.

4. hessdesigns thread starter macrumors member

You are so right... Good eye! I am the guy who posted, but this is a different laptop altogether -- no AppleCare, but upgraded HD and the matte screen and no damage... The guy was selling it for $1650 and I got him down to $1500. (That's about my price range, give or take.) In all seriousness, thank you for calling me out on that; it would certainly be a dumb move to just ask in different forums until I got the answer I wanted!

Edit: Sorry if this thread feels like a re-post. I was trying to get info about the bulge in the other one, and in this one, I'm just looking for some buying advice. I appreciate the help!

5. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

6. joelw23 macrumors newbie

where did you find a macbook pro for $1349 on clearance??