Which MacBook Pro to buy

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hypobaric, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Hypobaric macrumors newbie

I am new to MacRumors so forgive me if I am in the wrong section. My old MacBook has gone to the Big Apple in the sky. I like the size of the 13" Pro but here are my questions. What ever I get will be my "do all" computer. I need the usual web surfing, e-mail, word documents, spread sheets, iTunes, and simple photo processing. I would also like to run some boating navigation programs. I don't do any film making or heavy graphics. So, will I notice the difference between the Intel Core 2 Duo processor on the 13" vs the Intel Core i5 on the 15"? Also, any reason to fork over the extra cash for a solid state hard-drive? Thank you for your advice.

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

For your purposes you won't notice any difference between C2D and i5, however, if you are looking at keeping this computer for a good number of years it might be best to go for the more current processor to better future-proof it.

At this point it seems for your purposes it would be a waste to get an SSD. Right now for most people they're a nice-to-have, and also for most people they aren't worth the money. They'll get cheaper eventually, and that will be the right time to pick one up.

Personally, if you like the form-factor of the 13" I think you should go ahead and get it. It's a good, solid computer, and for general use there's no reason not to get one. They're plenty fast enough for day-to-day use and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

3. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

The new MBA is C2D, so apple will be supporting that processor for a while. The processor will do everything you need and then some.
    If you personally want the i5 then go for it.

4. Hypobaric thread starter macrumors newbie

5. andymodem macrumors 6502a

As an owner of the 13" Pro, I'd much prefer the 15" with the Hi-Res screen. I probably wouldn't even use my desktop at that point.