Which macbook pro to buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danb93, Jun 17, 2012.

  1. danb93 macrumors newbie

    Jun 17, 2012
    i am not sure whether to buy the new 15 inch retina display model but am not sure if i will be able to afford it. so i don't now whether to buy the current 13 inch macbook pro or wait until it comes out with retina display. however i will need it for the end of september as i will be going to university. not sure what i should do!
  2. SisterRay macrumors regular

    May 25, 2006
    I'm not an expert my any means but here was my thinking

    1. Anything above £1200 is too much for a laptop (for me)
    2. I need something with a bit of power. I will be running VM's on it
    3. I like the idea of being able to upgrade when I need to, not all at once when I buy it

    So this left me with the 13" MacBook Pro. I bought the base model, mainly because Apple decides redundancy and it is usually not based on the cpu but generally based on the generation of machine. I will over time add an SSD and add 16Gb of memory.

    I hope this helps
  3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere


    May 16, 2008
    It's fairly unlikely that they'll update the MBP line again so soon after this update, but it's not impossible. There's also a good possibility they won't ever offer a retina display on the 13" model. Only Apple knows for sure. You could try waiting a few months, but if it was me, I'd buy what I need now, unless the retina display is critical for you.
  4. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

    Sep 14, 2011
    Essex, england
    what do you plan to do on the mac? there is a big differance in graphics on the 15" than the 13", but like someone said, £1200 or more is a bit much to be paying for a computer but hey, that's :apple: for you :D

    what is your budget as well?
  5. inaka macrumors 6502

    Apr 26, 2010
    If you need the macbook pro before October, then the rumored 13 retina isn't going to work since it won't be available by then. The only change in the line that will be available is waiting 2-3 months when the refubs hit Apple's refurbished store. Then you can get a bit more savings with a refub on the current models out now.
  6. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    Wait until September. This will allow you to save more money in the event that apples does not update the 13" MBP to a retina display
  7. Mizzou02RS macrumors member

    Sep 13, 2005
    I'd say you should buy a nice 2012 13" MBP...you'll love it! It's a great machine. :)
  8. pragmatous macrumors 65816

    May 23, 2012
    Just get the 13" MBP. The 13" retina is rumored to be released in October.

    You'll want that extra money for food instead of ramon noodles heh.

  9. Cubeeless macrumors regular


    Apr 6, 2012
  10. Arelunde macrumors 6502a


    Jul 6, 2011
    CA Central Coast
    I bought a 13-inch MBP about a month before I realized a new generation was just about to be released. At first, I was upset - $1,200 is a LOT to spend on an outdated laptop. However, I have been extremely happy with this MBP and wouldn't part with it - retina display or not.

    I have an iPhone with a retina display and, honestly, I don't see a huge difference between the MBP and iPhone displays (granted the iPhone is smaller scale). There is nothing wrong with the MBP display - it's perfectly adequate and, in fact, excellent.

    So, I recommend you get the MBP 13, especially if you need it for September. It will give you some time to get used to it, as well.
  11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

    Feb 6, 2009
    Make sure to consider the 2012 13" Macbook Air as well. There are pros and cons to both machines, but the updated Macbook Air holds its own pretty well in my opinion.
  12. danb93 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 17, 2012
    i would be using it for lots of essay writing, powerpoints and making spreadsheets. my parents said that they would buy the 13 inch MBP with upgrades, however if i needed to i could provide money to get the 15 inch with retina display. i will also get the tax off the laptop as my dad is in the army so that is -20% and the 10% for being a student.
  13. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

    Sep 14, 2011
    Essex, england
    Then in that case I would suggest a non-retina MacBook pro. 13" would be ideal, since you like to take it around with you often, but nothing is stopping you from getting the low-end 15" if you are needy for screen size.
  14. Stetrain macrumors 68040

    Feb 6, 2009
    Definitely check out the Air, unless you really need Ethernet/DVD without adapters.

    It should be more than powerful enough for your needs, it has a higher screen res (1440x900, same as the base 15" MBP), and it will be faster in a lot of day to day tasks compared to a 13" MBP with a standard hard drive.

Share This Page