Which Macbook Pro to go for? Is it worth the extra $$$?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AriGold, Oct 13, 2010.

  1. AriGold macrumors member

    Oct 13, 2010
    Hi there, this is my first post and would like some final advice before I part with my hard earned dollars for a MBP.

    Now the screen size isnt massively important to me so the main reason for the thread is trying to figure out if at all, how much quicker the 2.4ghz i5 would be than the 2.66ghz C2D? If the difference is not that noticable then I will just stick with the 13" 2.66ghz to save some money.

    or spend the extra $260 and go for the 15" screen and the 2.4ghz i5?

    MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    13.3-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    320GB HardDrive

    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core i5
    15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    320GB Hard Drive

    Thanks in advance.
  2. guitarfreak846 macrumors member

    Dec 30, 2009
    Go with the i5. It also has good discreet graphics that give you way more power than the other choice. It'll be worth the extra money.
  3. dtodor macrumors member

    Nov 10, 2009
    If I were you, I would wait till next Wednesday!
  4. stphnman20 macrumors regular

    Jun 23, 2010
  5. AriGold thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 13, 2010
    Whats happening next Wednesday?
  6. AriGold thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 13, 2010
  7. dtodor macrumors member

    Nov 10, 2009
  8. AriGold thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 13, 2010
  9. AriGold thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 13, 2010
    All I will be doing on it is, internet, email, watching movies, the odd bit of photoshop and storing/playing quite a bit of music.

    The only big main drain on the machine will be playing football manager.

    So would you think the i5 and the bigger screen is worth the extra $300?
  10. MaxwellIreland macrumors member

    Oct 15, 2010
  11. omenatarhuri macrumors 6502a

    Feb 9, 2010
    Both have the needed performance level. What you need to do is go play with the laptops at your local Mac dealer and see which size appeals to you more. I once had a 13" version that I later regretted a bit, since I found the 1280x800 resolution and 13" screen to be too small. Brilliant little computer otherwise.
  12. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

    Oct 14, 2010
    I would swing for the 15" if you're fine with either size. The base model 15" MBP is the best value in the Macbook Pro lineup...and that's new.

    I do, however, much like the 13.3" screen. I find it to be the perfect compromise between portability and screen real estate. In fact, I'm writing this on a 2010 Macbook Pro 13-inch. But, I sure do salivate over the 15-inch's innards. I couldn't trade portability for performance, or quite wait for the next update. But I would have waited until tomorrow were I still looking to buy. And, even though you are deciding between refurbished MBPs, I would wait to see if tomorrow's news will add variables to your decision.
  13. arcite macrumors 6502a


    Sep 6, 2009
    Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    I have a friend bringing me a 13 from the states in a few days.... I'm excited! ;)

    I'm upgrading from a toshiba dual core/ intel graphics, 16 inch screen. I'm looking forward to greater battery life, better screen, and improved graphics card. I wanted a smaller computer that runs cool. It seems to me the current 15 and 17 solutions still run too hot, so perhaps in a year or two there will be better chip offerings. I figure the 13 will offer at least twice the performance of my current setup, so that's good enough for me. :D

    The base 13 was $600 (apple store prices) less than the cheapest i5, so it just made more economic sense to save that money and perhaps buy a new macbook 2 years fro now.
  14. LaLLLy macrumors member

    Jul 12, 2010
    I personally don't think they will be doing anything to the MBP in the next update.
  15. deadkennedy macrumors 6502

    May 22, 2010
    Just DON'T go for the glossy screen. You'll regret it for years as I do.

    As for the power, I took the most powerful one and added additional 4GB of RAM, bringing it to 8GB. I have to run a Virtual Machine, Eclipse, and these two alone are pretty heavy. I have absolute no problems whatsoever and do not regret the extra cost.
  16. AriGold thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 13, 2010
    Unfortunately the anti glare screen isnt available on current refurbished stock in my price range. I dont need a really powerful machine so cant justify spending $2000 on one when I dont need it.

    So I will have to live with the glossy screen. My main concern is spending the extra $300 on the extra 2 inches of screen and the 2.4 i5 over the 2.66 C2D.
  17. 123macman macrumors member

    Dec 17, 2009
    it depends on what you are doing with the computer. If you are doing programs like final cut go with the i5 but if you just need it for things like web browsing and other simple programs then go for the 13"
  18. AriGold thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 13, 2010
    These will be my main uses. Just media storage and viewing/listening/watching with the main drain being football manager which does take quite a bit of power if I recall correctly.
  19. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Mar 14, 2008
    What for? It's a software only event.
  20. AriGold thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 13, 2010
    This is what ive been told, but ive waited anyway 'just in case' :D
  21. applepearpp macrumors regular

    Oct 19, 2010
  22. JodyK macrumors 6502a


    Jan 29, 2010
    Northern Atlanta suburbs
    I would def wait until tomorrow afternoon. If there weren't any updates ... I would say go to your local Apple store or Best Buy that sells Macs. Look at the 13 and the 15. For me it's a no brainer. I go with the power and get the i7 15 but if I were between the 13 2.66 and the i5 15 I would go with the 15 for the dedicated graphics and better processor. You also get a nicer screen and great speakers. But you may play with the 2 of them and just love the 13 for it's feel and slightly better portability. GOOD LUCK!
  23. vant macrumors 65816

    Jul 1, 2009
    Avoid the 2.66 MBP13. It's the biggest waste of money known to Applekind.

    2.4 MBP13 or 2.4 MBP15 should be your options.
  24. AriGold thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 13, 2010
    Ive had a look at them in the apple store and do actually prefer the look and feel of the 13" but as people have said I may regret not going for the 15". Better speakers would be another great advantage for me aswell as the processor speed.

    Im beginning to think I might just go for the 15".

Share This Page