Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fdefore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2009
DC
Just found this forum!

My current laptop (HP dv4335nr) no longer recognizes that the power cord is in it - so it only runs on battery. I've been told that likely means the motherboard is fried so it seems it's time to buy a new machine.

I need a machine for every day stuff (web browsing, word processing, dvd watching, video streaming, etc), graphic work (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) but I would also really like to attempt video editing and sound recording (READ: I have no experience with this stuff). This is what has led me to MacBook Pros.

So questions I have about MBPs...

1) NEW VS REFURB
I know that refurbs are slightly cheaper with the same warranty and access to AppleCare as new machines, but I know plenty of people who are anti-refurb (not necessarily anti-Mac-refurb just as a general rule). Which is the better / wiser investment? Would it just be better to buy new online and customize it (with Office, Final Cut Xprs among other things)?

2) BEST SPECS / CUSTOMIZATIONS
Considering my needs, I think a 15" screen would be best but as for the other parts: What are the best specs and customizations considering my uses? Which processor would be best (2.26 vs 2.53 vs 2.66GHz)? Is size or speed more important with a hard drive (320 vs 500GB or 5400 vs 7200RPM)?

Sorry if these questions are stupid. I'm fairly familiar with using computers but not so much with the technical side.

Thanks!

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Regarding #1, the only thing the additional money gets you when you buy new vs refurb is a nicer shipping box. I just received a MBP 13" yesterday, and I have already forgotten about the box. The flashier box would have cost me $200 to obtain.

Since you get the same warranty, I'm not sure why anyone would say buying new is better.

Benchmob31

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2008
West Sacramento, CA
I agree, refurbished is the way to go. You get the same warrenty as a brand new out of the box computer. As far as your second question, it all depends on what you want to use the computer for.

Personally I am going to purchases a 15" because the 13" screen size is to small for my liking. Im going to purchase the 2.53 because all i will be doing is general stuff. No movies or image processing. Plus i dont need two video cards.

As far as harddrive, I would say dont pay extra for a upgraded harddrive. Apple bends you over for an upgraded harddrive. You can find them very cheap and install them easily yourself. I have a 320 hdd @ 7200 rpm in my mac mini and it is great. Depending on what your needs are once agian, I would say the bigger harddrive. Or you can just purchase a 500 hdd 7200 rpm and be done with it all at once.

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I'm often a proponent of refurb products, but one thing to consider is that if you purchase the computer new with a platinum visa, etc. card, you often are able to get a doubled manufacturer's warranty.

I would also suggest you purchase the highest spec. processor and video combination you can reasonably afford: you can upgrade hard drives, RAM, and other components later, but the processor is a fixed component.

DFTU101

macrumors member
May 16, 2008
Refurbished

I'd agree with the opinions on going with a refurbished product from Apple. Don't forget, it's not cheap considering the software that you want (Final Cut, multiple Adobe products, Office) that needs to be purchased.

highertechnology

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2009
I would either go refurb from apple or new and sealed off ebay from a powerseller.

Regarding the 2.53 vs. 2.66, I got the 2.66 for the 9600GT. I have read that it will run better with Snow Leopards Open CL. If its in your budget by all means buy the most hardware possible. I was a console gamer and thought I wouldnt ever PC game. I bought the higher GPU just in case, and literally the second week I had it I bought a PC game and now appreciate the better graphics card.

Good luck.

MacKiddyWiddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
well everyone says refurb and i agree
signature_SmileyFace.jpg
however, sometimes there isnt the perfect refurb for you and so you'll have to go new, as for performance, go with the higher for what you are doing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.