Which MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Josh220, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Josh220 macrumors regular

I am looking to upgrade my white MacBook to a Pro because it is much too slow for editing pictures. I edit RAW images in Lightroom and CS4. Even with an external hard drive, my MacBook only has about 8GB of memory left and it runs extremely slow when using lightroom. Lightroom runs fine, but I can't use any other programs while using it or I just get the beach ball of death.

What would be the best choice out of he 15" pro models? Should I save money and get the cheaper one, or go all out for the top one? I have been considering the middle model ($1849 with student discount) unless the top model is considerably better.

Thanks!

2. flakes8 macrumors regular

flakes8

I was wondering the same thing, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M vs. NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB in a post earlier. And here was the response I got from Hellhammer.

"9400M will be fine for Photoshop because it can't really utilize it, so 9600GT would be idling all of its time"

I am getting my first mac at or around Christmas, I can't wait !!!!
    Good Luck :D

3. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

I agree

I have the 2.66 with the 9400/9600 and a 320 5400 HDD

When I use those programs I always have it in 9400 and it runs just fine.

Of course mine also has the 6MB L2 cache where as the one you are after will have 3MB L@ cache, but am sure the difference will be minimal, esp when compared to your current system

4. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I have the Unibody MBP 2.53, and i don't notice any kind of slow down at all. The only reason i would of considered getting the next step up MBP would of been if i was going to be using my laptop at my desk all the time, and having it plugged in all the time.

The 9600 will increase you performance, at the same time kill you battery life, it from all the posts i have read, is very power hungry.

5. Josh220 thread starter macrumors regular

I am thinking that any Pro model will be considerably better than the bottom feeder white MacBook that I currently have.

I have an external HD and a Time Machine which is a 500GB HD as well, so I am considering saving $250 and getting the middle 2.66 MB Pro.

6. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Do what I did, get the previous 2,66 15". L6 mb cache and express card slot in stead of sd slot. I got a brand new one for a very good price.
    The only thing I sacrified was battery life

7. Josh220 thread starter macrumors regular

8. DanBUK macrumors regular

I am in a similar situation (except I have held onto my 1ghz 12" powerbook way too long and have had to use my girlfriend's MB for anything taxing).

I would be interested to hear people's experiences of battery drain with the 9600M GT and also any knowledge of the speed hit with the 2.66gh dropping from 6mb cache to 3mb cache.

Thanks.