which macbook should i buy on ebay? any models to avoid?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ilovecats, Mar 5, 2012.

1. ilovecats macrumors newbie

I need to buy a used macbook. I've done a little research and found that I should avoid 2007 and 2008 mbp models with nvidia. Does the nvidia issue also affect regular macbooks made the same years? Are there certain macbook models that don't have issues that I should focus on? Any advice is appreciated.

2. luke.mac1 macrumors member

I'd be tempted to avoid the 2009 white one as well because of the bulging issues at the bottom where the battery is and the palm rest splitting issues.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have the MacBook aluminium unibody and it's a beautiful machine. I wouldn't avoid the nvidia gfx personally.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I would tend to avoid any models that can't run Mountain Lion. I'm not saying you will want ML when it comes out but I am saying you will went to have a choice based on personal preference and not integrated Intel 3100 graphics or whatever.

5. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Use extreme caution when buying laptops on eBay. There are a lot of scammers out there and laptops are pretty much the number one item that scammers use to steal your money.

6. Muscle macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Been looking on eBay as well. Thinking of replacing my mid 2010 mbp 15" with one of the 17" from 2011.

Any tips for potential buyers as to what to look for in a listing to avoid scammage?

7. foodog macrumors 6502a

foodog

Ditto. Look on Craigslist. You get to see it work in person.

8. bigdaddyc188 macrumors member

I am looking to do the opposite. I have a pimped out 17" 2010 mbp with 8gb and antiglare 7200 and i am getting ready to sell it to get a smaller mbp so i can get a better machine to travel with. But I am really nervous to ebay it.

9. Muscle macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is the 17" really that much harder to carry around? Weight wise it's only 1 lb heavier and I've found the 15" to be a tad uncomfortable to carry around all day due to its weight anyway so the 1 extra lb is irrelevant to me.

I would be more worried as a potential buyer than seller using eBay as you don't have to ship out until the funds are confirmed in ur account. And you can always insure the shipping and fork over the fees to the buyer.

10. ilovecats thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know which models have the Intel 3100 graphics?

11. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Older white Macbooks and older Mac minis have the abandoned Intel integrated graphics. Newer minis have Intel 3000 graphics which Mountain Lion DOES support. More here, here, and of course here.

12. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

As far as buying a MB on ebay I would avoid 1) New sellers/members, 2) Those that don't have a high detailed seller feedback score and 3) those that have few transactions. Long time members know the value of doing right by their buyers since one bad rating can destroy their credibility. I have personally sold a 2009 MB, 2009 iMac, and a 2010 13" MBP and I think part of the reason is that I have been a member since 2005 with a perfect rating. The type of person I would buy a high end item from needs to meet the above criteria else I would just wait for the right item with the right seller profile.

Also, make sure you pay with paypal since that is the only way to resolve a problem if there is one. I have had 2 or 3 issues with sellers and I was able to get those problems addressed to my satisfaction through ebay.

13. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Late 2008 (Aluminum MacBook) is the first model to have 9400M NVIDIA graphics. Also the oldest Mac I believe that supports Mountain Lion.