Which MacBook should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dirt-squirrel, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Dirt-squirrel macrumors newbie

I have the choice of getting a MacBook 5.1 with a 320gb hd and 2.4ghz processor, or a MacBook 6.1 with a 250gb hd and 2.26ghz processor. Bothe have 2gb of ram.

Both cost $750, so other than the obvious differences, are there any major differences between the two which would make one the better choice?
    I'm new to macs and any advice would be great!

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

it all depends on what you want to do with it.

3. Dirt-squirrel thread starter macrumors newbie

Average use, music and movies out to my HDTV, and doing some garage band stuff mostly. I just want something that won't crap out on me.

Also, is there anything I should be checking when looking at them as far as battery and whatnot?

4. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

Is there any difference in RAM speed between the two?

How many cycles are one the batteries?

I would personally go with the newer one but that opinion isn't based on anything rational, just that I like the new design.

5. Dirt-squirrel thread starter macrumors newbie

The aluMac has Two slots for PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM (1066*MHz), and so does the newer MacBook.
    I'm just wondering if there any other hardware differences other than the ones listed on wikipedia or other sites?
    I need to know which would be better in terms of making iPhone apps and other programming needs. I'm leaning towards the aluMac, but is there anything about the newer model that makes it better (although not as fast) than the aluMac?

6. xxxamazexxx macrumors member

I would go with the newer model if it hasn't aged so horribly compared to the older one. Difference in hard disk space and processor speed is negligible but the 6.1 has longer battery life and multi-touch trackpad and other qualitative improvements over the 5.1.

7. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

I agree with that. Plus you can always upgrade your hard drive. I dont think the processor speed is going to make that much of a difference. I do like the AI look, however I have the late 2009 White Unibody MacBook and I love it.