Which Macbook should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Flokkes1, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Flokkes1 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm planning on buying a Macbook Pro, I only don't know which one to get.

Next year, I'm going to music college (I'm a drummer), and so I'll need some music programs on my laptop: Logic and Ableton will be the two main programs, but I'll also need standard programs like Word. I'm hesitating between two Macbook Pro's:

The 13" model with: 16GB RAM, 128 GB Flashdrive (so the standard model but with upgraded RAM)
    or
    The 13" model with: 8GB RAM, 256 GB Flashdrive

I don't know what will be more useful for me, more RAM or more storage memory.

The 13" model with 256GB flashdrive and upgraded 16GB ram is too expensive for me...

Anyone with advice/experience?

Thanks a lot,
    Florian

2. Studflower macrumors member

Storage is more important than the ram, but for Logic I wouldn't skimp on ram either.

I'd say save another $200 for a month and also get the ram.

8gb/256gb is the sweet spot, but I wouldn't settle with 8gb unless you absolutely had to.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well for college music production 8gb will be absolutely fine for many years to come. More storage space for tracks and college software is much more important. To be honest if I was you I'd be looking at refurb 2014 with 512gb and 8gb ram for around the same price.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

The RAM upgrade in the 13" is a terrible rip-off.
    I do not use music programs, but from what I've gathered they run perfectly fine with 4gb.

If you insist on the 16gb get the 15" that includes better gpu and quad core.

5. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

Option #2. 8/256
    Paying $200 for the additional 8 (which isn't even needed) is absurd. Especially on a dual-core machine.

6. Flokkes1 thread starter macrumors newbie

But i would also buy an external HDD, so is it then needed tot get 512gb? I'm more afraid of the fact that I would not be able to install all the programs I want on a 128gb model, or that I wouldn't be able to run the programs smooth on the 8GB model.

7. Studflower macrumors member

This is terrible advice, as well as the one above this poster who claims 4gb is fine for Logic.
    While 4-8gb is fine for simple track recording, some third party libraries and software instruments like Kontakt will fill up 8gb really fast. Why limit yourself to 8gb ram when additional 8gb costs $200 more? You can't upgrade it yourself in the future and although $200 for 8gb sounds "absurd", it's IMO very worth it.

Again, if you MUST choose between the two, I'd go with the storage. However, I suggest you wait and save a bit more for the 16/256, or even go refurb.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

I've never used logic, so I have to take your word for it, but from other threads we know that people tend to grossly overestimate memory requirements.

The RAM upgrade on the 13" is still a rip-off and if 16gb are required, the 15" is the way to go.