Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chambers7

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2007
I'm wondering what labtop system I should buy for my needs.

I almost always run iTunes and run web browsing and word processing. I am a college student and I want to be able to easily carry the labtop around with me.
I would do some video editing (not professional) on iMovie.

I'm wondering two things. The first one is: should I wait to buy... and if so, how long should I wait? (Should I wait until Santa Rosa or should I wait until Leopard?)
Also, people have sad all I will need is the high end macbook. (these specs in particular)
* 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
* 200GB Serial ATA drive @ 4200 rpm
* Superdrive 6x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

I figure that will be enough for what i need, but should i get the macbook pro so it will last longer? I don't suspect that my computing habits will change much and I can afford the high end Macbook Pro.

Please help me. Thanks very much.
GO :apple: !

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I'm wondering what labtop system I should buy for my needs.

I almost always run iTunes and run web browsing and word processing. I am a college student and I want to be able to easily carry the labtop around with me.
I would do some video editing (not professional) on iMovie.

I'm wondering two things. The first one is: should I wait to buy... and if so, how long should I wait? (Should I wait until Santa Rosa or should I wait until Leopard?)
Also, people have sad all I will need is the high end macbook. (these specs in particular)
* 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
* 200GB Serial ATA drive @ 4200 rpm
* Superdrive 6x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

I figure that will be enough for what i need, but should i get the macbook pro so it will last longer? I don't suspect that my computing habits will change much and I can afford the high end Macbook Pro.

Please help me. Thanks very much.
GO :apple: !

first buy when you need. second, for the uses you listed, the macbook will be more than capable. however a bigger screen may be nice for editing so either get the mbp or an external monitor if you need/want a bigger screen

the mb and mbp are pretty much equal in performace cpu wise. when things need gpu, thats where the macbook falters. such as games. however i can play halo easily on my macbook cd 1.5gigs. all depends on your needs

chambers7

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2007
first buy when you need. second, for the uses you listed, the macbook will be more than capable. however a bigger screen may be nice for editing so either get the mbp or an external monitor if you need/want a bigger screen

the mb and mbp are pretty much equal in performace cpu wise. when things need gpu, thats where the macbook falters. such as games. however i can play halo easily on my macbook cd 1.5gigs. all depends on your needs

thanks so much for the help!
I forgot to mention that I have a 512 megs of Ram, gateway desktop cpu. (I'm never buying a PC again). The ram makes it very slow even though the processor is like 3.1 gigs. So i'm wondering when would be the best time to buy. I mean, how worth is it if i wait?

Thanks again for your reply.

panda

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
a good time to buy?

seems like you don't need it immediately (but sooner is always nice...).

i would say to wait for the next upgrade -which should be relatively soon. perhaps a matter of a couple of months. :)

the os can be upgraded later (end of year?).

and since protability is a key issue, the macbook is the right choice, perhaps with an external screen as well.

chambers7

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2007
Bugs

If i wait and buy the new macbook when the Santa Rosa comes out, how likely is it that it will have bugs?

Should I buy something now that has been tested? What is the risk?

Thanks for your replies.

GOOO :apple: !

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
the school year is almost over, so there really is no sense in getting a macbook now. buy when the next round of updates happen, and then you might decide for yourself which model appeals more to you. but leopard isn't coming for another five months or so. i wouldn't wait for that.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
yea if i were in your shoes id wait. there is a higher chance of bugs with new models as opposed to what is out there now as its been out for a while. however i got my macbook like 3 months after they were introduced and its still great.

so my advice is to wait but if you decide you want one to play with over the summer (as it would be REALLY tempting) the current models are not bad at all.

technology never stops and that kinda sucks lol

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
thanks so much for the help!
I forgot to mention that I have a 512 megs of Ram, gateway desktop cpu. (I'm never buying a PC again). The ram makes it very slow even though the processor is like 3.1 gigs. So i'm wondering when would be the best time to buy. I mean, how worth is it if i wait?

Thanks again for your reply.

Eh? Why don't you just upgrade the RAM on your PC??? Any MAC or PC is going to run fairly slow with 512mb RAM no matter how fast the processor is...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.