Which Macbook should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Joe M, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Joe M macrumors newbie

I currently use a iBook G4 and wanted to replace that with a new Macbook but I am not sure whether to get the base-line white model or the low-end Aluminum model? First off my brother has a late '07 2.2 GHz Macbook and usually when I encode DVD's I buy to the iTunes format I use his computer using the Handbrake application but usually I can only do that when he has nothing to do which is not that often so I would want something that would be as fast or close to the speed of his laptop which was the mid level laptop in late '07 and he did not upgrade the memory at all. Plus my iBook is fine for word processing and regular internet use by when watching streaming TV shows on Hulu becomes a pain since they become unwatchable so I wanted something fast enough to do that. I don't care about Firewire not being on the unibody Macbook since I never use it and I would also like something that has decent battery life since my iBook's battery will only last for about an hour if I am lucky. Having something that is cooler and a fan that is not as loud as my brother's '07 Macbook would be nice but are not musts. So I was wondering which Macbook would fit my requirements, the white base-line or the low end Aluminum Unibody?

2. gr3nade macrumors member

It sounds like the Aluminum is the one for you.

3. Illicit macrumors 6502

the white base will do everything you listed just fine.

4. Joe M thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I like the whole look of it and the new track pad is nice as well but my #1 concern its video encoding performance but if the encoding performance on the white is not that much slower than I would want the cheaper alternative so for me it really comes down to the the best encoding performance for the cheapest amount and would be buying a refurbished Aluminum body Macbook from the Apple Store be a good idea?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Wow, use sentences please.

Buying a refurb aluminum MB from the refurb isn't a bad idea. You might also consider buying one of the older Macbook Pros.

6. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Exactly. Again, everybody hates on the white Macbook. Oh, the aluminum is cooler and "tougher" - but $300 is a lot of money. The white will do everything the base aluminum will just fine. :)

7. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

8. Joe M thread starter macrumors newbie

It certainly seems like people hate the white macbook and say that it is not tough but I think this is all dependent on how well you take care of it. I have never dropped my iBook and I've had it for almost four years.

Sorry about my sentences I sometimes type in a hurry. Thanks for the suggestions.

9. Joe M thread starter macrumors newbie

Why would you not buy it new and when you buy a refurbished Macbook does it look and feel new, and would it last as long as a new one would?

10. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Yes it looks new and is less likely to have problems that a new one. Carries the same warranty and is eligible for AppleCare.

11. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Exactly! My white Macbook is just fine, but there have been some issues with others in the past. However, Apple has always taken care of them, so I don't see the worry. There's a $300 price difference (new) or a $250 price difference (refurb). My personal recommendation is the refurbished white Macbook with the nVidia graphics chip for $849. Don't get the older intel X3100 model (I have one) - its a BIG difference going to the nVidia chip. :)

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...alum dents, and yes plastic cracks but it seems that :apple: covers fixing the cracking plastic easier than they agree to fix dented alum parts...

13. Joe M thread starter macrumors newbie

Who has that $849 deal because the Apple Store does not have a refurbished white macbook. Like I said before I usually decide on performance rather on looks but if I do go with the unibody refurb it would be for the multi-touch track pad, and DDR3 memory. However if I can find a white refurb deal than I would go with that.

14. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

You have to check the refurb page day and night. The white ones pop up there about every couple days, if I remember right.

15. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Ditto. :)