Which macbook should i choose?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Vikt1011, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Vikt1011 macrumors newbie

Hi, i am in a situation where i accidentally destroyed my old macbook pro, and now need to buy a new one. I have found two options. Either a macbook 12'' with 512 gb, 8 gb ram and 1.2 ghz intel m 2core from early 2015, or a macbook pro 15'' with 256 gb, 8 gb ram, and 2,4 ghz 4 core i7 from early 2013. They are priced the same, but i just cant figure which of them that is best for me. I like to edit film from time to time, and a little gaming like Wow, but nothing to hardcore. The computer will mostly be used for studying as i still have 4 years left of uni, and it would therefor also be required that it would survive the remaining years. Thank you in advance for giving your thoughts on my problem.

2. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

From the looks of Geekbench scores, it looks like the 2013 MacBook Pro performs a little better despite being 2 years older. 3160 single core on the Pro compared to 2963 in the MacBook, and 6056 multi core on the Pro compared to 5437 on the MacBook. So nothing too drastic. The only thing is that you’ll have 256gb instead of 512gb, and perhaps Apple might provide software updates longer for the 2015 MacBook.

Pros and cons for each-

2015 MacBook
    Pros: Double the storage, possibly longer software and hardware support, thin and light
    Cons: Slightly slower processor, only one USB-C port, butterfly keyboard that can be problematic.

2013 MacBook Pro
    Pros: Slightly faster performance, many ports, superior old keyboard
    Cons: Half the storage, not as light, 2 years older means possibly 2 fewer years of hardware and software support.

I can’t choose for you, but if I were in your situation I think I’d be leaning towards the 2015 MacBook. If you’re only doing light video editing, the 2015 MacBook should have enough power and isn’t that far off from the 2013 MacBook Pro.

3. Mike Boreham, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019

Mike Boreham macrumors 68000

If 256GB is sufficient (which it must be or you wouldn’t be considering the MBP), I would try to stretch to a third gen (2017) 12” MacBook with 256GB instead of first gen 512GB. Third gen has KabyLake and a better keyboard and likely to have more battery life left.

I have just bought a used but unmarked 2017 12” MB for £660. It has 14 cycles and 98% battery health. Manufacture date was Oct 2017. Two year warranty from now from the seller (CEX).

If you ask this question in the MBP forum you will get the reasons for a getting the MBP over the MB.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2019 ---
    Just noticed the MBP option being considered by the OP is the quad core 15” model not the two core 13”. This changes the piicture considerably:

The 15” MBP is MUCH more powerful than the 12” MB. It is also MUCH larger and heavier.

OP these are VERY different machines....you really have to consider how you will be using it, but IMO you would be getting a lot more computer for your money with the MBP.

4. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

I doubt you’d have much fun playing games on the 12” (the dedicated GPU on the rMBP makes a huge difference, despite having “only” 1GB VRAM) and video editing probably is not much fun either. Clear recommendation for the rMBP from my side.

5. mike.coulter macrumors regular

mike.coulter

Seeing as it will mostly be for University, I'd probably go for the Macbook Pro. That bigger screen will probably make life a little easier for you.

I currently have a late 2013 MBP and it's one of my best computers, the keyboard is excellent and its battery life is great.

6. Vikt1011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys so so much! You have really made it easier for me to make a decision. I will probably go with the MBP as many of you guys write it's more powerfull and the screen size just makes it easier to video edit and do some light gaming, where as it would be a pain to do it on the 12 inch. Thank you again!

7. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Wait and see what's announced today at WWDC. I have an idea you'll see processor and other upgrades to both the MacBook and MacBook Air

8. Mike Boreham macrumors 68000

Anything announced today will cost at least two to three times a 2013 MBP or 2015 MB.