Which Macbook Should I Get? White or Aluminum?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by webberman, Jan 28, 2009.

1. webberman macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I want to get a Macbook but really don't know which one I should buy, the White (2.4GHz/2G/160G) or the Aluminum (2.4GHz/2G/250G) one? I like the backlit keyboard, huge one button multi-gesture trackpad on the Aluminum, but it's a little bit pricy for me (about $1450). The White one is only $900 right now, so I don't really know which one I should go with. Can you help me to decide, or maybe list the pros and cons for both of them? Thanks a lot!

2. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Depends one what you are looking for, if 1450$ is a little pricey, why not just save more money and get the White macbook? Its a very well equipped machine, it just does not look a pretty as the aluminum ones. The big differences on the aluminum would be the LED Screen, DDR3, Mini Display Port and the lack of firewire.

3. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

And the lack of plastic that chips off around the palm rest.

Don

4. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

Both great systems, but the Alum option probably has better durability and therefore longevity and sell-on value. Whilst both systems look great, it's my opinion that the Alu is superior in that account too.

5. webberman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks claimed4all. I was wondering if the LED screen, backlit keyboard, new trackpad are worth that extra 500$. How about the heat issues on both machines? I heard the case of the White Macbook is easy to break?

6. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

It's not that it's easy to break, but there was an issue awhile back (not sure if it has been resolved), where the plastic on the palm rest would chip off after a few months. Like I said, I'm not sure if Apple has fixed the issue though.

Don

7. wiz7dome macrumors regular

wiz7dome

FW trumps all

Only you can make the final decision, however, FW would be the selling point to consider.

If you don't use FW, you'll enjoy your Macbook good and proper.

BUT......

In the even you need it (Target Disk mode for example)

You'll curse apple from then until your next purchase.

8. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Not to be nit-picky, it was probably just a typo, but the white one doesn't come in a 2.4 GHz version. Unless you're talking about a refurb on the store that's I don't see. It comes in a 2.0 version (not a huge difference either way).

9. webberman thread starter macrumors newbie

I was talking about the Early 2008 Model (MB403LL/A), and It does come with a 2.4GHz CPU.

10. svndmvn Guest

oh, forget the early 2008 white macbook, or even the late 08 white one. If you like firewire/the looks of the white one/spending less money the new White Macbook has faster front side bus, a lot better graphics, it is really close to the aluminum macbook, and I believe most of the people on this thread thought you were referring to the current macbooks.
    In my opinion, a 2.0GHz Aluminum macbook is of good value, especially with a students' discount or bought from the refurbished store. I'll probably end up buying the 2.4GHz but it doesn't mean I won't feel cheated by Apple, the price difference really is not justified by me. Anyway, I only consider the aluminum ones because I've already had a White one and ever since I heard the rumors about the new shell I was al over it. The way it really turned out to be is so much better than expected.

11. kaldezar macrumors regular

cracked palm rest on white macbooks

Hi i have an older white 2ghz macbook which had the dreaded cracked palm rest. Took it back and the whole palm rest/top of macbook was replaced. It seems to be much sturdier material and has shown no sign of cracking so I would take it that the new white macbook won't have this problem. BTW i would go for the macbook pro if i had the money!http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/wink.gif

12. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

Not solved. I've got the Early 08 Model, MB White. It started cracking on the palm rest last month. I am using it daily but that shouldn't happen. As it seems, it's not the used plastic causing the problem (though the thing that the palm rest would get colored after a bit use seems to be solved. I don't have it, but my sister with her late 07 still does.), it's the design of that part. The egde is just too thin. It doesn't seem that they changed anything of the general desing.

EDIT:
    doesn't seem so in my case. Though it's not cracking as bad (maybe not yet?) as the older models, it started on mine 08 as mentioned above. It came from one day to the next so maybe you just have to wait..

Maybe he wants the 13 inch screen or a lighter notebook? I prefer it, do to more portability.

I am not sure which one I would bye now. Both have the great Nvidia graphics chip. I don't care about The DDR2 vs. DDR3 bus speed.

Though the LED screen a good thing to have. Firewire if you need it, but it doesn't seem so. I personally don't care about the multitouch trackpad.

I think I would take the white model, to save money.

(Chances are that you won't have problems with the palmrest and otherwise, you get it exchanged.)

Read this small article about the new White MacBooks, it seems that they changed (downgraded) the USB power for some reason (I guess a motherboard change)

http://lowendmac.com/macbook/macbook-white-2009.html

I love my White MacBook, I am not really jealous about the new graphics, because I am happy enough with what I got.
    But I guess, now I would buy the aluminium because of superior built quality and the LED screen. (And the backlit keyboard on the more expensive model)

13. webberman thread starter macrumors newbie

For the Aluminum Macbook, another thing I am worried about is the glossy screen. For those who use it, is it too glossy to see what's on the screen in direct sunlight?

14. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Go to a store and have a look, theres hundreds of pages of posts on this debate on this forum. For every person who will say glossy is fine, theres another who prefers matte. The only real way is to make your own mind up. Personally i prefer glossy because the colours look more vibrant and less faded, also blacks look like real black and not grey like in a matte screen.

15. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

The White MacBook has also a glossy screen. So you don't really have an option here.

Or are the alu models supposed to be even glossier?

But go out and see them in person before you decide.

I like the glossy for it's colors (pictures and DVD's look great!) but as you know it's harder to see outside of the house because of the sun. But I still manage to use it out in the garden in the summer to do some IM, websurfing and of course listening to music.

So I think if you don't really want to do serious work on it (like Photoshopping for hours or writing huge essays) under the sun you should be ok.