Which MacBook Should I Get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPadMini, Nov 18, 2012.

1. iPadMini macrumors newbie

I'm looking at buying a Macbook Pro this Black Friday with Final Cut Pro for YouTube video editing. On Apple's website it says it needs at least 4GB of ram. Does 4GB run smooth enough? Or should I get 8GB? I ask because I want to be able to run multiple windows along with Final Cut being open. Does anyone video edit with a MacBook Pro?

These are the two deals I'm looking at:

13.3" Apple MacBook Pro
    Dual-core Intel Core i7 2.9GHz,
    8GB RAM,
    750GB HDD,
    $1397.98 on November 23rd (BLACK FRIDAY).

13.3" Apple MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display
    Dual Core Intel Core i5 2.5GHz,
    8GB RAM,
    128GB SSD
    $1597.99 on November 23rd (BLACK FRIDAY).

Macbook A has the higher specs but no retina display, but Macbook B has retina display and lower specs. They both have the same amount of ram though.

Which one should I get? I'd be open to other options as long as they're under $1600. Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

The Retina macbook has been less than that on Amazon and Frys recently with no tax and free ship making it a much better deal than waiting for black Friday

3. iPadMini thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand, but my main goal is to figure out which Mac is a better fit for me. The lower specced retina, or specced out non retina.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

How much HDD space do you need? I'd probably try to find a better deal on the 256GB retina MBP or a deal on the base 13" i5 MBP and update the HDD and RAM yourself.

5. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

These days, 4GB is a bare minimum for Mountain Lion, particularly if you're using some of that for video. You'll probably be fine with 8GB, 6GB will work in a pinch, and if you've got the extra $25-$30 16GB will be overkill, but it won't hurt at today's prices.

Speaking of prices, whatever you do don't buy "upgrades" from Apple. If you're going to get a cMBP (non-retina MBP) then you'll want to get the base model for as little as possible and upgrade it yourself. It's very easy, doesn't take long, saves A LOT of money, and gives you a wider array of options. And upgrading RAM and/or drives in the cMBP does NOT void the warranty (though you may need to put the old parts back for service).

6. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

How mobile do you need to be?

A 128GB is not very big for video editing (it's rather pathetic) and you'll need to drag externals around.

If you can avoid all the retina hype... the non-retina mac is the way to go because it's user upgradeable. That means you can upgrade the RAM to 16gb and put in a much larger Solid State Drive down the road whenever your wallet says to do so. Even now, you can take those savings and for a few bucks more get into a 512GB crucial SSD right away.

It all comes down to the retina display. We mac users seemed to be just fine all these years without 'em.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Here is my advice to a different poster in another thread:

You can pick up a base i5 13" MacBook Pro for $999 if you look around(I usually see it on sale at Frys). Installing a SSD yourself is easy, the 256GB models can be had for $170, or less, if you shop around. 16GB of RAM will run you about $70 if you shop around. That'll set you back around $1240. With the cash you save you could buy an iPad too!

8. iPadMini thread starter macrumors newbie

That doesn't work with the late 2012 model though.

9. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

http://appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide

check prices before you purchase....especially this coming weekend. And always consider total cost, price plus any tax and shipping. Hopefully the tax and shipping are $0.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

11. iPadMini thread starter macrumors newbie

12. desmotesta macrumors member

Talking of doing your own upgrades, Is there an agreement on whether adding/replacing Hard Drive or RAM voids the Applecare/Apple Warranty?

I keep searching threads and keep getting conflicting information.

Hoping someone can clear this up

Thank you

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

No problem. I guess technically the 13" retina model might be considered "late 2012" so there is that.

Anyway, my recommendation is still the base model MBP and upgrade the RAM and HDD as needed.

----------

No it doesn't void your warranty on the regular MBPs. The parts you install obviously aren't covered, and if you do any damage while you're installing them you can void your warranty. The other issue you may run into is stubborn techs that blame the non-Apple parts if you ever do end up having it repaired. My solution has always been to reinstall the Apple parts before taking it in for service.

14. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

The problem is you have a less powerfull processor

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

True, but do all users need that additional 400MHz?

16. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

MacBook Pro

I am also in the market for a new MacBook Pro. I actually bought the 15" non retina then returned it because the screen was inferior to my 4 yr old MacBook Pro. Not as sharp. I've been going back and forth, retina/Non retina. I DO NOT want to get a 1st generation retina. Then the other day a apple floor person showed me a test. We had both laptops side by side. He clicked on a huge photoshop type of program on both. It took the retina 10 seconds to open it. It took the non retina 50 seconds. This is due to the Internal flash hard drive as opposed to the traditional spinning hard drive on the non retina. For me that's the selling point. Therefore, I will hold out for the 2nd generation retina 15". I hear it may come out in March

17. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You can put a SSD in any Mac that doesn't already have one. I've got one in my mid 2009 MBP.

18. iPadMini thread starter macrumors newbie

Decided on the 13" i7 8gb ram 750gb. FCP runs like a champ on this beast. After I spend some time with it I may upgrade the ram to 16 or even 32 just for the fun of it.

19. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

Is 32 supported? I think not ... Mactracker says 16

20. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I believe the Ivy Bridge chips all support 32GB, although I'm not sure if they can support that much in just two slots. Also, 16GB SODIMMs don't exist as far as I know, and if they do, I can guarantee they're not cheap.

21. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

22. snaky69 macrumors 603

Supported yes, but the SO-DIMMS do not exist yet.

23. EmptyCalm macrumors member

i have the option b, retina is just the bomb, should have gone with that. My opinion of course. 750 gb? You won't ever use all of that