Which MacBook should I get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asharahmed, Jan 1, 2015.

1. asharahmed macrumors regular

asharahmed

So I bet this topic has been butchered to death and for that I apologize but here is my dilemma:

I'm in Grade 9 (I'm 14) and in high school and require a computer for school (programming, business, comp tech) By the way, I also plan to use this for other tasks such as some light gaming (A game called Kerbal Space Program all other gaming needs are accomplished with my speedy Mac and iPhone 6 but I digress) and web browsing and the like. Before anyone asks this I am paying for the mostly with my own money, I tried to pay for it fully but parents won't let me (they say I've been too hard on myself lately).

I'm looking for a Mac (obviously apple fan here) that is portable and will last 4 years. My price range is around $1150CAD (can go up to $1300). I am looking at the certified refurb store and MacMall because better deal than new.

Any recommendations?

----------

Oh and I would like an SSD as I cannot stand HDDs. 8GB would be nice as well since I can't swap out memory or anything else for that matter. I forgot to mention I will also be doing light video editing as well.

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

3. asharahmed thread starter macrumors regular

asharahmed

4. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I'd get the 256GB even if you don't think you'll use it. I got 512GB with mine and I'm glad I did because I was constantly having to move things to an external hard drive. Now, after trimming down some unneeded files thanks to DaisyDisk (not paid to endorse, just a great app I recommend) I have about 250 left on my 512GB SSD with 100GB set aside for Windows. It's works out great for me.

That seems to be the best model for the money. I normally recommend a 15" screen for video editing as I had a 13" MBP at one point and always thought it was a bit cramped to edit on.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

You mean a macbook with 8gb RAM and 128gb ssd?
    Of course :apple: sells these.

Where are you planning to take your macbook?
    If you are a more domestic user (mostly uses computer in a fixed location on a desk) I'd go go for an iMac/mac mini. They are more powerfull and the whole user experience is better than on a Laptop.

If you want to stay portable on a budget, also take a close look at the macbook air lineup. For your usage you won't need the extra features a rmbp provides, which leaves the screen as the only difference.

The mba however has better battery life and offers a fantastic user experience.
    If you are fine with 128gb, then the base model can be found on amazing offers.
    Also take a look at the 11" model + external screen combo, so you can have the desktop feel at home and your main computer as an ultra-portable at school. There are many options to choose from. :)

(Let your parents pay! You sound to modest. ;) )

6. asharahmed thread starter macrumors regular

asharahmed

Honestly I am a power user on my main machine I have a i7 with 16GBs of RAM. I will be using boot camp and was looking at rMBP as I feel like MBA is too underpowered as it will be used for 4 years. Also the MBP has Iris while the MBA has HD 5000.

I will need it to be a laptop as I will be taking it to class forgot to mention will be using Adobe Products as well.

Reason why is I want a 256GB but find that it is too expensive (right up at the limit of $1300)

Ugh

7. asharahmed thread starter macrumors regular

asharahmed

Thanks guys although I know now which one I want: a retina MacBook Pro 13 inch with 8 GB of memory and 128 or 256GB SSD.

Now I need to just figure out where my going to buy from from Apple or some other retailer like Staples or Best Buy or future shop help me decide please which place has the best prices in canada!

----------

I feel like I want a refurbished version of the latest MacBook which is 2014 is there any difference between the one released in early 2014 and the one released in October 2013?

So is the SSD upgradable? Thanks

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

The SSD is not upgradable. The difference between the two is negligible.

Buy with education pricing or a refurb.

9. asharahmed thread starter macrumors regular

asharahmed

I cannot get education pricing as it is only for post-secondary students. Should I wait or?

10. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

The late-2013 and the early-2014 are essentially the same computer other than a very slight bump in the processor.

I always say buy certified refurbished if you can't afford new. They've been inspected, had any faulty parts replaced, and come with the Apple one year warranty as well as qualifying for AppleCare (which, in my experience, is well worth the purchase; it kept my mid-2009 MBP running when I couldn't afford a new laptop).

A late-2013 rMBP with 8gb of RAM and the 256gb SSD should do very nicely for you. I have one as my daily driver for college. Being an education major, I mostly use it for MS Word, web browsing, and Netflix. It's more than I need, but I prefer the rMBP's form factor over the MBA.

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

AFAIK education pricing works K-12 as well.

12. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

It is technically upgradeable, but I think it probably voids your AppleCare and since it's a non-standard SSD, it costs just about as much from third parties to upgrade as it does from Apple at the beginning.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2014+SSD+Replacement/27849

It looks quite an easy upgrade, but I probably wouldn't do it if it was still in warranty. It's not soldered in or anything though, so it is possible if you absolutely need more storage somewhere down the line.

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

The current MBP'S SSD is only upgradable with parts pulled from another, higher specc'ed MBP: as in, you can buy a 1TB SSD for them, but they will be pulled from another machine(used) and sold on eBay for ridiculously high prices. Since nobody sells brand new, non-apple-branded SSDs, I'd consider this part as non-upgradable.

Better?

14. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

True, yes, but I wouldn't necessarily rule out a third party coming out with an upgrade eventually. (I did think OWC already did a kit, but that was for earlier rMBPs. My mistake.)

Just merely pointing out that it could be an option in the future, albeit would be relying on something that doesn't currently exist at the moment.