Which Macbook Should I get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pyromaniaque, Nov 16, 2008.

1. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

I'm all crazed about the hype regarding the new MB/MBP.
    I wanted to know which should I really get?

Here's a little about me:
    I do comp. graphics (not extreme or anything), I do a lot of torrenting, I'm building a music collection, I watched and save a good bit of movies to my computer. I also do a lot of word processing forr school.

My mentality regarding these:
    I don't care too much about a lit keyboard as I can type.
    Someone told me that smaller laptops are more stylish (aka macbook), what do you think of this?
    Is the two inch screen difference really that important?
    I can overclock the processor, so CPU speed is not that important.

BTW, what would be the benefits of the beefed up graphics card that the Pro is equipped with as compared to the Macbook's?

What's really the best to get?

2. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Based on your needs I would suggest the base model MB but up the RAM to 4GB, if you do any hardcore gaming with new games you should get the MBP but for casual gaming the MB will be fine.

ChrisN

3. Saganomics macrumors newbie

The GPU in the Pro is really only going to come in handy with gaming, and certain applications which can offload processes to the GPU, like CS4.
    I don't really know what to tell you about a 13 inch screen being stylish- it's really a matter of portability. A thirteen-inch laptop is going to be easier to transport. A 15-inch will be more productive for applications taking up an entire screen. Consider this, along with the price difference, and weigh it against what you will be using your computer for.

Also I wouldn't recommend overclocking a laptop processor by much. I wasn't even aware this could be done in OSX.

4. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, you can overclock your computer in OSX. And since they're using those new efficient Intel CPU cores, they can be overclocked by ALOT. But it's only software overclock, not bios like in windows, You have to restart the Overclocking Utility when you turn on your comp. But I'm probably never going to turn my laptop off often, so when you recover from sleep, it's still overclocked.

5. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

What are your opinions on the 2in size difference? Also the resolution difference?

6. kousuke18 macrumors regular

I am pretty sure the EFI prevents any overclocking done to the cpu on macbooks and macbook pros, but the video cards can be overclocked in windows.

For me, the extra 2" doesn't really matter to me but the most important thing is the increased resolution from 1280x800 to 1440x900. There is a lot more work space with the increased resolution and i think it's much better for everyday tasks such as browsing websites. After using my macbook pro, I find that the macbook resolution is just too low even for browsing websites.

7. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Well you could get a MB and get an old ACD and they should be pretty cheap but you would need some convertors.

ChrisN

8. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Dont the macbooks have 3mb of L2 cache and the higher end macbook pros have 6mb of L2 cache?

9. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know. I just heard that there's some program that allows the overclocking of it.
    I mean the base resolution isn't THAT bad. We have a Dell XPS 12 inch and it still has a resolution higher than the mac. Apple is definitely slacking a bit.
    See I want to get one for Christmas, but my parent's aren't going to dish out THAT much money because I quote on quote:"Don't Deserve it" But I could probably get the higher end one if I took out from some of my savings. :/

I do an above average amount of graphics. :/ I don't think I'll notice too much of a difference.

Does a 15 year old, REALLY need a pro?

10. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

Did some research, the programs overclock within OSX (aka while your mac is on), not within the EFI.

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Doesn't look like your needs are too demanding. A Macbook may be a good choice for what you want to do. And as long as you're not doing graphics intensive work, it's not that much slower than the base level Macbook Pro.

12. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

I SOMETIMES do intensive graphics. That's the thing. And I want something fast. How much difference is there really between the 2.0Ghz and the 2.4Ghz

13. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, what is the cache size difference between the two?

Also regarding the macbooks, is 2.4 a stark difference from 2.0?

14. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

Only in benchmarks I believe. You personally won't notice much of a difference.

If I were you, I'd actually get the old 2.4 MB and max out the RAM.

If you want the new one, get the 2.0 off eBay with the 200 dollar live.com cashback.

15. kabunaru Guest

16. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

What kind of intensive graphics work do you do sometimes? There is some difference between the screen quality of the Mac Book and Mac Book Pro. But if you plan on moving the computer a lot then the 13" screen may be more beneficial to you?
    I would say either the 2.4 Mac Book Pro or the 2 ghz Mac Book. Either way get 4 GB of ram and then buy your self a fast big hard drive to put in it to store your music and films, I know you can even get a 500GB laptop hard drive now but I'm not sure if it fits?

17. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

What's a live cashback. GAHH I feel so stupid :/

18. pyromaniaque thread starter macrumors 6502

What does the RAM do really? I thought the processor's clock speed mattered much more than RAM. Also, what is an SSD drive. Are they faster than the normal drives?
    Thanks.