Which Macbook should I keep?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dcran, Mar 30, 2009.

1. dcran macrumors newbie

I have had my macbook for about a month now, and my wife just got one this week. We decided that we are only going to keep one. I am not sure which one I should keep and which one I should sell. They are both the 2.0 macbook aluminum, but they have different hardware.

One of them has the 9C89 screen, and the Matshita UJ-868 optical drive. The other one has the 9C8B screen and the Optiarc AD-5960S.

I feel like the 9C8B screen looks better side by side, but I am not sure about the optical drive. Is one more reliable than the other? or less prone to having problems?

Which one should I keep?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The matshita drives tend to be noisier from my experiences.

Knowing my luck, if I were you, it wouldn't matter which one I kept, it'd end up being the wrong one :(

3. jtibbitt macrumors regular

jtibbitt

Haha.

4. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Let me tell you this: THE MATHSHITA DRIVES ARE ****. They fail prematurely, and are quite noisy. Also, they are not very fast compared to other drives on the market. Optiarc is a sony company, and I have an optiarc drive in my PC. I've burned well over 400 CDs on that drive, and read countless media on it. Still going strong.

>>The matshita in my PowerBook has failed twice, so I put in a third party one.

5. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Damn I guess I never thought about these MB's having different optical drives. I have the matshita. It is a big noisy when you come back from sleep, a longer scan than my previous blackbook, though I forget the drive in that one.

6. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Damn I guess I never thought about these MB's having different optical drives. I have the matshita. It is a bit noisy when you come back from sleep, a longer scan than my previous blackbook, though I forget the drive in that one.

7. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

How can you tell whether you have either Matshita or Optiarc optical drives?

And are all the current MBs equipped with the Optiarc now?

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The one with the better screen. It's easy to fix a optical drive if it breaks, but very hard to convince Apple to replace a display because it looks "not as good"

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

My unibody MB has a matshita drive...

To find out, click the Apple in the menu bar, then "about this mac" then the "more info" button and select the "Disc Burning" side menu. It'll say right at the top the type of drive you have.

Mine for instance has the Matshita UJ-868

10. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

the previous gen macbooks ha fujitsu drives

11. coronel mustard macrumors member

coronel mustard

not true in my case. My whitebook has a MATSHITA CD-RW CW-8221.

12. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Go with the better screen how often do you use the drive not as much as the screen!

13. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

which is considered the better screen? Please say the 9C89 =D

14. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

How do you know which screen you have? I have checked About This Mac and found nothing helpful.

15. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You need to view the details in the calibration file and it's the last entry I believe "MMOD" or something of the sort.

16. dcran thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I have made up my mind about which one to keep.

17. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

If one laptop between you and your wife is enough.... why did she buy another one?

Pick the one with the straightest keys! :D

18. dcran thread starter macrumors newbie

We thought that we would both need one, but soon realized that we can share. More her idea than mine... you know how that goes.

We will probably buy another in the next year or so, or when the processors and hard drives are updated again. We might wait to see if apple does the free ipod with purchase again this summer too.

We must have won the apple lottery too because both machines actually have straight keys as far as i can tell.

19. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I certainly do know how that goes.... Ive ended up with a bed thats FAR to big for the room it goes in..... also her idea.

Straight keys on both machines?!?! You've done well

20. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its really simple, which one looks better to you?

22. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Yep. I've got one too. Everyone knows that they are loud as heck, but as far as I know they're pretty reliable.

I'd keep the one with the better screen, or since you wife just bought it, return hers, and keep yours.

23. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

24. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I only have one, the 9c89. People were saying keep the one w/ the better screen to the OP, wondering if there was a determined "better" screen. I just wanted to know how my screen rated against the other. I'm not the thread starter. But as I see in the first post he feels the other one has a better screen. So I answered my own question =) thanks

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The OP has both to compare and should pick the screen that he/she likes.