Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ACE_350

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 12, 2013
I planned on doing this last year but some financial restraints came up and I had to put it on hold. I'm just looking for some basic advice on what MacBook I should consider here.

Budget is not really an issue at this point but I always try to go for the most affordable and sensible solution.

This MacBook is just going to be serving as my own personal machine. I will mainly be using it for web browsing, social media, streaming services, e-mail, and managing things like my spreadsheets and calendar. I will not be doing any gaming at all on this machine and I won't be hooking it up to an external monitor of any kind. I also doubt I would be doing any kind of video editing, if I did it would be very much beginner stuff. I will be utilizing iCloud to its fullest extent and the new features Yosemite will be bringing with the full syncing between my iPhone 5S and iPad Air.

It will mainly be used in the house though I may occasionally take it to work back and forth or random places, this will not be a regular thing though.

I come from a background where I've used powerful full gaming desktops I've built and recently I've found myself as I'm getting older I am just not much of a gamer anymore on the PC at least. I'm planning on moving my gaming rig and changing it into a general multimedia rig and moving it out in the den in my house. Most of my gaming as shifted over to the PS4 where all of my friends play anyways, nobody really plays on PC that I know anymore.

Right now my current laptop is a older ThinkPad 400 with a SSD installed and while it does fine for my needs I am just thinking of a Mac just for the build quality, much increased speed and longevity.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
For your usage any macbook in the current lineup will suffice.

Take your pick!

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
As Meister's always to the point reply states, any will do.

If I had to narrow it down to two models though, it would be the 13" MacBook Air, or the mid tier 13" retina MacBook Pro.

The Air is great for better battery life and portability. But the MacBook Pro in my opinion is the higher value. It is just as portable and the battery is still amazing. Plus it's got a much better display, and feels less flimsy. Just costs a bit more.

I ended up with the 2.4GHz/8GB/256GB 13" myself and couldn't be happier. Go for a refurbished unit if you want to save some cash :cool:

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I planned on doing this last year but some financial restraints came up and I had to put it on hold. I'm just looking for some basic advice on what MacBook I should consider here.

Budget is not really an issue at this point but I always try to go for the most affordable and sensible solution.

This MacBook is just going to be serving as my own personal machine. I will mainly be using it for web browsing, social media, streaming services, e-mail, and managing things like my spreadsheets and calendar. I will not be doing any gaming at all on this machine and I won't be hooking it up to an external monitor of any kind. I also doubt I would be doing any kind of video editing, if I did it would be very much beginner stuff. I will be utilizing iCloud to its fullest extent and the new features Yosemite will be bringing with the full syncing between my iPhone 5S and iPad Air.

It will mainly be used in the house though I may occasionally take it to work back and forth or random places, this will not be a regular thing though.

I come from a background where I've used powerful full gaming desktops I've built and recently I've found myself as I'm getting older I am just not much of a gamer anymore on the PC at least. I'm planning on moving my gaming rig and changing it into a general multimedia rig and moving it out in the den in my house. Most of my gaming as shifted over to the PS4 where all of my friends play anyways, nobody really plays on PC that I know anymore.

Right now my current laptop is a older ThinkPad 400 with a SSD installed and while it does fine for my needs I am just thinking of a Mac just for the build quality, much increased speed and longevity.

I'd recommend a retina MBP. If you are used to a retina display (iphone 5S and iPad Air) it will be quite painful to look at the display of the MBA. Even the base model will be more than enough for you for several years. I have one and it's a great machine.

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
get the mid tier 13" retina ; the air is nice but the screen will obsolete in 2-3 years , where as the retina will be good to go ; plus with 8 gb of ram and 256gb ssd you should be good for the next 3-5 years

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

Pick the screen size you want first. I'd go to the Apple store and check out what's available. The 13" MacBook Air and 13" MacBook Pro are both great computers. But like others have said, you'd be perfectly happy with any MacBook Apple sells.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.